Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More order of work - tile flooring and toilet

Posted by jamies (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 12 at 11:34

What is supposed to go in first? (tile is vallelunga sophia, a basketweave ceramic tile. Toilet is a skirted toto)

If you put the toilet in first, what are the negative consequences?

Bathroom 2 has a kohler skirted toilet. What is the downside of putting the toilet in before marmoleum (pretty flat) flooring? Before thicker flooring like terrazzo tile?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More order of work - tile flooring and toilet

I prefer the flooring to go under the toilet.

If you need an operating toilet, the toilet can be set for use during construction. Then simply pull it for the flooring installation, then reset.

I'd want the flange height of the toilet properly set for both floorings; the thicker tile and the thinner marmoleum.

Part of the issue is sanitary, in that you have a cleaner installation (literally and figuratively) with the toilet set on top of the finish flooring.

I much prefer having a sanitary surface (tile, or whatever the finish flooring might be) under the toilet instead of the toilet having bare subfloor or underlayment underneath it.

The other part is "future-proofing". If you ever change out the toilet for one with a different footprint, the flooring will be where it needs to be.

o
RE: More order of work - tile flooring and toilet

Thank you Mongoct. I am using a contractor but the project has grown tentacles, somehow, and I'm trying to create mini-projects within the contract. I'm fearing that all "finish plumbing trim-out" will fall to the last days, a time at which the contractor will have almost all his money and I won't have a single working toilet. It's too scary for me. I'm breaking the project up. Thanks for your advice.

I'm going to try to get him to finish the bathrooms before the kitchen cabs are delivered. I don't have a sense as to whether it costs him more to get a plumber out sporadically than to have him for a solid run of days, but I can't trust. If it costs more so be it. I started with a house that had bathrooms, and I've put in a lot of money, and I now have a house where you can't make a pit stop. Too nervewracking for this poster.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here