Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan631_gw

20 x 20 tile on the diagonal?

susan631
14 years ago

We're building an addition to our master bedroom that will have a 12 x 13 bathroom. The shower will be 5 x 5. It's not time to lay the tiles yet, but I am already stressing. I am planning to use the 20 x 20 tiles in the shower and on the floor. I chose this large size to minimize the amount of grout lines in the shower. I am trying to decide whether to lay the floor tiles on the diagonal. (I would not do this in the shower). My question is, do such big tiles look ok when laid on the floor on the diagonal? Does the size of the room matter? If anyone has pictures of diagonally-laid, large size floor tiles, like 18 x 18 or

20 x 20, I would really appreciate it. Thanks, Susan

Comments (13)

• susan631
    Original Author
    14 years ago

One more question--I have not yet discussed with the contractor how the tiles will be laid as far as straight or diagonally. Is it safe to assume that if I ask for diagonal he will ask for more money? I know there's more waste, therefore more tile for him to purchase and I assume more labor costs involved--or is it not enough to really make a difference in pricing?

• pharaoh
    14 years ago

I havent laid ours on a diagonal but i did use 18x18 in an 8x8 bathroom. and in the shower walls. I love it. I would go even larger if you can find them - 24x24!

In my master bath, i am planning on using rectangular tiles as large as i can find them...

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Is it safe to assume that if I ask for diagonal he will ask for more money?

I'd say it's a safe bet. He might want to buy a little more tile, and he'll certainly want an upcharge for the labor. This is not something you want to spring on him when he shows up to install your tile.

As for the whole concept of laying large format tile diagonally, Just as with smaller tiles, I think it adds something to the installation (BESIDES cost!). It certainly stops the modular look that straight laid tile seems to give a floor.

• MongoCT
    14 years ago

Large tile on a diagonal is always an eye-catcher. A "good" eye catcher! But yes, there will be a few more cuts to be made, and depending on the dimensions of the layout, that usually means a bit more waste.

Just for clarification you know tile that size won't be practical on the shower floor, right? It can be done, but much depends on the layout of the corner-to-drain lines on the shower floor. That, without a doubt, is something you'll need to discuss with your installer before the preslope is installed.

• monicakm_gw
    14 years ago

YES, the larger tiles on the diagonal will look great in your bathroom. And of course you can't go wrong with decreasing grout lines :) Here's my 10x11 master bath with 20" tiles on the diagonal. DH didn't charge me extra for the diagonal layout (g) There is a diagram somewhere in this forum that shows the same space with different size and layouts of tile. The larger tiles (even in smaller bathrooms) and the diagonal layout makes the room look more spacious.
    Monica

Here is a link that might be useful: More Bath Photos

• susan631
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies! Monica, your picture is exactly the visual aid I needed. I am one of those people who has no imagination and cannot picture in my head how something will look. I always need to see an example. I can't thank you enough for posting this pic. I LOVE the way the large tiles look in this larger space. Funny thing is, I think I my bath tiles are the same ones you have in your kitchen! I'm not 100% positive because I don't have a sample tile in front of me at the moment, but from what I see in the picture, I sure think they are the same ones! Mongo, I re-read my original post and realize that I wasn't clear--I should have specified that I'm getting a corian shower pan. The tiles are going on the shower walls and bathroom floor. Bill, I will definitely discuss this with the contractor today. Even though it'll most likely cost more, this is one of those things I think will be worth splurging on. After seeing Monica's picture, I think it looks great and I'll be sorry if I don't do it.

• pepperidge_farm
    14 years ago

We did diagonal on our last of 3 bathrooms and I now regret we didn't do it on all. We cut some tiles into long rectangles that ran like a border around the edges of the floor and I really love the way it capped off the design and finished it off!

• susan631
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Monica, I have no idea why did I said kitchen tile when you put up a picture of your bathroom tile. The constant dwelling on all of this remodeling stuff is rotting my brain and killing off my brain cells, I think! Too much to think about. Anyhow, I meant to say bath tiles--I think my bath tiles are the same as yours. What's the name of those?I looked at your photos. Your bathroom is lovely. I especially love your sink. It is beautiful and unique, not something you see every day. Love the granite you chose also. Your little grandson is pretty darned cute, too!

• monicakm_gw
    14 years ago

LOL I thought maybe you looked around at some of my other galleries while you were there :) But I know what you're talking about. Brain cells escaped at an alarming rate during this last remodel. I don't think they're coming back :o The BATHroom tiles are also Marazzi/Ragno. Eclipse is the style. Moonlight is the color.
    Monica

• judithn
    14 years ago

I'm also about to pick tile for my bathroom. I was going to use 13 x 13 tiles but I talked to a tile expert who said that size is outdated and the bigger sizes are better. The tile I chose comes in a 20 x 20. The overall bathroom is set up like a galley kitchen somewhat with the vanities set up along one side and a soaking tub and stall shower on the other, leaving a walkway area in the middle that ranges in width from 36" - 42" so if I use 20 x 20 there are going to be a lot of cuts and not that many full tiles. The length of the bathroom is 12'.

The tile is Siena Springs from American Olean. Last year we did a kitchen remodel and I used 18" square tiles. I took a few extras of those up to the bathroom to see how they looked. I thought they were okay, but the 20 x 20 is a bit bigger...maybe it's too big.

What do you think?

• jacobse
    14 years ago

What do you think?

Umm, don't believe an "expert" who tells you not to use 13 x13 tiles because they're outdated! ;) Seriously, go with the look you like.

Personally, I think 20x20 sounds a little large for your space, but if you like the look, go for it. I'm just doing a guest bath which has about 37" in width between vanity and wall/tub. We just had the 13x13 tile, laid diagonally, and think it looks great. At least we get to see a few tiles at this size.

-- Eric

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

I agree with Eric. The only thing "outdated" is a so called expert who believes that everyone has to share his or her tastes. That includes tile experts, designers, decorators, etc..