Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! SLC in Bathroom

Posted by sushimaster99 (My Page) on
Tue, May 7, 13 at 10:46

Ok, DYI here. Bathroom is down to studs on all walls and ceiling. Demo'ed the old 1950's bathroom of existing file, mud and concrete screeded mesh on walls and floor.

My joists run from X to Y, with old floor Planks on top with 1/8 inch gaps between.

** Bathroom Layout **
Exterior House Wall
----------------------- X
: :
: T :
: U :
: B :
------------+++++-- Y
door

Putting in the tub now and now see I have a High Side of the bathroom located along X that pitches down to Y by about a 1/4 of an inch. This is throwing off putting my tub in level.

What I would like to do.
Put Hardie Backer over floor boards. Use either THINSET or SELF LEVELING CONCRETE on top of the Hardie Backer to bring to floor back to level.

Then my tub and tiles on remaining floor space can sit level.

I would be hugely in appreciation if anyone in the know, could give me their thoughts on this strategy.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! SLC in Bathroom

For a cast iron tub (with feet) you can use some 4" square electrical box covers for shims.

For an acrylic tub that is set in mortar - install the back and side supports level. The mortar will take up the difference.

SLC is for making the floor flat (not level.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here