Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ikea_gw

Schluter trim for shower niche?

ikea_gw
10 years ago

Our tiles for the shower wall doesn't come in bullnose, so we have to use the schluter trim for the edge where the tiles end on the wall. I seem to recall seeing schluter trim for the niche as well but can't seem to figure out exactly which of their trims I need for that. Anyone can help me with that? The tiles are 3/8 inches thick but mainly I just need to know which line of their trims I need to look at. Thanks!

Comments (16)

• knwright12
    10 years ago

I'm not sure what size was used, but we have the schluter metal trim pieces throughout our shower. It's on the corners of our 4' niche, the corner of the bench, and the corners at the shower door. My dad did all our tile work, but he'll have to look at the invoices to get the size. The metal has a lip to allow grout to be put in between it and the tile. Our tile is a standard thickness of 1/4" give or take. You can contact a dealer to help decide what line and size to use.

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

It depends on whether you want Schluter corners or are okay with just cutting the strips for the inside corners. If you use the Rondec, you can get the corners, if you use the Jolly, you have to cut the strips because they don't make corners in that profile.

Our niche is made using the Rondec:

• ikea_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Our tiles are square edged. It's one of those 12x24 large porcelain tiles with textured lines. I think maybe Jolly is what we want. I am not crazy about the round look personally.

• knwright12
    10 years ago

Found out that we did have the Jolly installed in our shower and where the tile on the tub deck meets the paneled apron. We've been very happy with the looks. I'll try to get a picture for you this evening.

• jules8
    10 years ago

I used the jolly on the tile edge and the rondec on the niche and I am happy with both. I don't know that I have ever seen a photo of jolly on a niche. Hopefully someone will post one for you.

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

This is the Jolly trim. It is at the curb rather than a niche, but basically it is the same thing. My tile setter chose to miter the corners. (It is really much squarer than this picture makes it look.)

• knwright12
    10 years ago

Here are some pictures of my shower. I haven't cleaned the shower very well since sealing the grout and stone, so the metal trim is a bit streaky in some places.

• knwright12
    10 years ago

Another one of the niche

• knwright12
    10 years ago

Shower bench

• knwright12
    10 years ago

Corner

• ikea_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have another question about the trim. For the hallway bath we have oversized subway tiles (4x10 in) and we want to go with bright white trim. The bullnose (Rondec) might be better than flat (Jolly) here but I can't seem to find the bright white coated aluminum inner corner pieces anywhere for the niche.

All I can find is bright white coated PVC corner pieces. So my question is two fold. Would you prefer color coated aluminum over color coated PVC trim for durability? Secondly, what if I do the rest of the trim in color coated aluminum but buy the PVC corner pieces? Would they age differently and look odd in the end?

• 72lenhart09
    8 years ago

Hi ikea_gw,

Did you ever find an answer to your question?

• muellerite
    8 years ago

Yes, I'd be interested in input on this as well. I'm debating between bright white PVC vs. bright white color-coated aluminum, both in Jolly. Leaning toward PVC to make in blend in with the grout more, but also worried about durability. I don't want the grout to look dirty compared to the bright white aluminum. Any experience with this?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

muellerite:

Yes.

• Denise S
    4 years ago

What if the Shluter aluminum bar was spray painted with a Rustolium Bronze color? Wouldn't that be more cost effective than the real thing. I have seen them on The Tile Shop website for up to 4 figures EACH. Discuss?