Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Claw Foot Tubs - pro/con

Posted by KS.farms_cooks (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 12 at 10:21

My husband reallllly would like a claw foot tub in the MB, I'm not so sure. I keep thinking about cleaning behind and under and not sure we have enough room to place it so it would look nice. We're in our mid 50's, so I also think about getting in and out and what that might be like. We are putting in a walk in shower so the tub probably won't get used that much. We're just wanting a good soaker for those cold winter nights. He has good memories of a house he lived in at college with a great claw foot tub. I'm thinking that house of college guys weren't too concerned about cleaning! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Claw Foot Tubs - pro/con

We just hauled a huge cast iron one out of our MB. It was a total pain to clean under and behind it. It was about 6 inches away from the wall and I couldn't get to the floor between the tub and the wall without climbing into the tub. The few baths I took used a ton of hot water and it cooled down really quickly because the tub was such thick cast iron. Despite all this kvetching I loved the way it looked, but it is being replaced with a (more practical)walk in shower. I will admit I'm not much of a bath person so the benefits didn't outweigh the hassles.

o

I would love to have a claw foot tub (again) and it wasn't that difficult to clean around. If it's away from the wall a few inches, it would be easy to clean behind and under it, with a swiffer/mop.

We had one in a house we rented and it was wonderful, as long as you had a separate shower. Ours was both...wonderful tub, awkward place to shower. I have one in our remodeling plan!

Love this picture, from Sarah Richardson's farmhouse remodel...and my 'fancy' tub picture.

From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

o

Lovely pictures, thank you for sharing. At lunch today, my hubby mentioned againg how much he would love to have that claw foot tub or a free standing. He has indulged me with lots of choices in our home remodel, I think I can give in this area. We're empty nesters, so it's not like the days when I had three children to bathe.

o

We have 2 claw foot tubs in our 100+ year old colonial. They are no more hard to clean then any other fixture in a bathroom. I just use a swifter mop as does the previous poster. They don't loose heat quickly. Put in the hot water first then add cold to the temp you like. I like to soak in the tub. Have spent a good 30 minutes comfortably in the tub without the water getting cold. Cast iron retains heat well. Indulge your husband in his soaking pleasure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here