Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1k difference in quotes tile job??

Posted by bullielove (cherij0411@yahoo.com) on
Tue, May 7, 13 at 9:59

I had a few differnet quotes for tile install in my shower (tub to shower conversion) bathroom floor, vanity backsplash as well as all prep work, shower floor/apply backerboard etc, waterproof membrance (materials included)

The quotes differ by 1k, is it normal to have such a difference in prices? The less expensive quote was even going to use a Kirdi pan liner and drain and that included the cost of that material.

Both of these installers came recommended by the Tile Shop where I purchased Tile, I called the references and they were all very good for both. They both use Hydropan as the waterproofing material and hardibacker.

The quotes are $3970 vs $2939. The bathroom is about 6x7, standard 60 inch wide shower.

Thanks
Cheri Morgan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1k difference in quotes tile job??

That's why you should get at least 3 quotes. Then if two are similar, you can be fairly sure that that is the going price. With only 2 you have no idea which is the reasonable one.

o

I was going to suggest a third quote also. Could be one of the guys works solo and the other pays a helper (that is something you can ask about). One might have ore work going and not want the job as bad. One may just charge more as the norm. You don't know without another to see which way the trend goes.

o

You can also ask them for a detailed estimate, to see what does this fee cover . Maybe one is charging you with all the supply and material , while the other will buy them and charge you later.

o

I had that much variation in my quotes than that, so I am not surprised at all. Not even counting one guy that was jaw-dropping high.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here