Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
If you have wood floors in bath -- would you do it again?

Posted by kswartwout (My Page) on
Sat, May 25, 13 at 9:40

I know the issue of hardwood floors in master bathrooms is all over this forum, but I have a very simple question, ONLY FOR THOSE PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY HAVE HARDWOOD FLOORS in your master bathroom:

Would you do it again?

(And If you don't like them, did you choose to install them or were they there when you bought the house?)

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: If you have wood floors in bath -- would you do it again?

Yes! I love mine. Completely easy care, looks terrific. (I think!)

o

I installed the flooring myself.

We still like the floors. Been in over 15 years.

Look great. No issues. No damage. No worries.

If I ever built another house, I'd probably use wood again.

o

Have you looked at the wood look alike porcelain tiles? I saw some at the tile store and they looked fantastic, came in so many shades.

o

Brazilian walnut (ipe) has natural tendencies to resist moisture, might be a good choice. expensive though.

o

Splashing can be wiped up, but what about around the toilet? We have hardwood in our powder room. Yesterday I noticed a puddle-shaped stain behind the toilet. I'm not aware of any condensation on the tank. Did one of the many workmen who have been in our house overshoot and not wipe it up? I don't even want to think about it!

We just had the toilet reinstalled in our remodeled guest bath. We noticed a slow leak a few days later. Fortunately, it's tile. If you have a separate toilet closet, I'd recommend tiling it.

o

may-flowers

Well-finished hardwood actually is less likely to retain any unpleasant liquids, or their residue, than tile with a cement grout. Grout sucks up moisture unless it is newly sealed.

What usually happens is that it get behind the baseboard, where it is hard to get at. True for tile, vinyl, wood, etc.

Leaving puddles around the urinal is never a good idea, and will cause problems no matter which flooring you choose. Find the puddle maker and tell him/her to knock it off. Look menacing.

If it continues, withdraw the contractor's bathroom priviliges -- he can go get a porta-potty.

o

Our guest bath has epoxy grout, so I think were safe there, plus no males will be using that bath. We're done with remodeling for this year, so the puddle maker won't be back!

Our oak hardwood floor in the main hallway and powder room has a "Swedish finish", which I believe is a catalyzed varnish. There's no signs of wear and tear after 14 years, except for behind the pedestal sink, where some of the varnish is missing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here