Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackson2348_gw

Epoxy grout vs. grout shield

jackson2348
9 years ago

Hi all, my tile guy prefers not to do epoxy grout on our shower walls. He will if I insist. He's recommending an additive called grout shield instead. I'm concerned with mildew, we are using an 18" square porcelain on the walls and 2" porcelain mosaic on the floor. Bench and curb will be quartz. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Comments (18)

• alina_1
    9 years ago

We used Laticrete epoxy based grout in several projects. The oldest one is 7 years old. It does cost more and it is harder to apply, but the result is well worth it: it is completely care free, mold and mildew do not grow on it, it does not require any sealing. I would never go for anything less than this, at least in the bathroom and kitchen.

We did not use that shield additive, but take a look at the reviews, most of them are one star out of five.

I would definitely insist on epoxy grout. It is your home and the maintenance will be your problem, not your tiler's.

• StoneTech
    9 years ago

I'll jump in here for a comment. Epoxy is good, but very labor-intensive...and costly. Recently, I've been converted to the "Church of Fusion Pro." It's available at HD and is fantastic. About $54 per tub, but is microbial, never needs sealing, is pre-mixed, is a TRUE color as per the charts and resists stains beautifully. I'm doing five bathrooms in a three million dollar home and it's ALL I will use. Fills joints from a sixteenth to three eights. Check it out.

• divotdiva2
    9 years ago

good to know StoneTech. I am looking at installing Fusion Pro myself, but I can't find the Antique White color locally.

• StoneTech
    9 years ago

Home Depot and Daltile are my two suppliers.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

So far I am not impressed by my epoxy grout on my kitchen floor. I have two dogs that track dirt like crazy and the grout has gotten dirty and discolored to the point that I am going to have to recolor it. I bought some grout colorant and am waiting for a time when I have several days to kill to recolor my epoxy grout! Grrrr.

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

OP>> He will if I insist.

TRE>> When your tile guy is paying the bill, his preferences count. After you've done
    TRE>> research and you're paying his bill, he should do what you prefer.

So, the paid professional shouldn't give his professional advice? Harsh.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

CWIE:

It didn't sound like he was giving advice, it sounded like he was giving his preferences.

I advise customers to get new sinks, but prefer not to clean the crud out of their drain lines but I do it anyway.

• divotdiva2
    9 years ago

Stone Tech can you elaborate on why you LOVE the ProFusion? I have bought a pail and plan to install it this weekend.

I called Custom and their explanation is that it isn't a epoxy nor a urethane, it's an "advanced polymer with inorganic fillers and pigments". I inquired if it can be removed at some point in time, and the answer was yes, it can be dug out if necessary. Hopefully easier to do so than with epoxy.

• StoneTech
    9 years ago

First, no mixing, so no color variations. Epoxy needs mixing also...and is messy. Any leftover can be re-sealed and used for another project later on. No sealer needed. Good color.

I've seen white used on a test board... two hours later, splashed mustard, wine and coffee over it and wiped up clean with a damp sponge.

A little learning curve for application~

Do small areas at a time. Fill joints well. Slightly dampen tiles before application. Using a WELL wrung out sponge, clean the area in a circular motion within a minute or so of application. I like to use either a microfibre-backed sponge or a sponge with a well wrung out microfibre cloth wrapped around it to make single passes over the area within a couple of minutes. Go on to the next area. An hour or two later, just buff off any haze with a dry or almost dry microfibre towel.

Two people working together make it go very easy....although one can do it.

Remove any rings and wear some disposable gloves....Fusion Pro loves skin, as well!

Once done, you should never need to do anything else to it other than general cleaning.

• divotdiva2
    9 years ago

thanks, I'm moving forward on it today, although the color may be slightly different on the floor of the shower than the rest.

• divotdiva2
    9 years ago

just an update, the ProFusion is installed and looks great. I went with what I could find (Alabaster) and I like it better than the original. Now to see how it holds up over time. I had a friend helping who didn't believe the learning curve (as Stone Tech pointed out, start cleaning right away!) but we got all the haze off. You really do only want to apply about a 2 x 2 foot area at a time. Custom's tech support advises to let it cure 7 days although their literature says less.

partial reveal pictures soon! I'm sold along with Stone Tech on this product. Wish I'd done the whole bathroom with it, but I didn't even know about it when we started.

• StoneTech
    9 years ago

So glad it worked out for you. It is a truly awesome product...

• happyallison
    9 years ago

Divotdiva can I ask how the ProFusion is holding up?
    Stonetech would it be safe to use on travertine?

• StoneTech
    9 years ago

Should be OK to use on Travertine, although if the stone has "inclusions," the Fusion Pro (like any other grout) WILL tend to fill them. If the colour works on the inclusions....go forth and sin no more!

• happyallison
    9 years ago

Thank you! It is filled and honed so I think that will be ok then.

• Lindsey B
    6 years ago
    Any update on how this held up!?
  • User
    5 years ago
    I went over to amazon to check out the Pro Fusion grout, because we're about to use epoxy in our shower and I thought it might be a good choice instead. The reviews are terrible! I'm sticking with epoxy grout.