Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bad tile installation?

Posted by shay321 (My Page) on
Sat, May 31, 14 at 9:07

We just had our shower tiled and we had paper-faced glass mosaic 1"x1" tiles installed as an accent. Some of the tiles look chipped, some don't seem level, and some have what looks like thinset coming up through them. Is this bad workmanship or am I just looking for perfection?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bad tile installation?

And another picture.

o

Have you tried cleaning them? It just looks like excess grout to me. Pretty tile :)

o

Poor tile quality and hasn't been cleaned enough. Due to it's irregular textured nature, cleaning is more difficult than with standard tiles. The first is on you. The second is on the tiler, as he accepted the tile for install. Be a little lenient though, as most of the issue is the tile itself.

o

Is $19/sf glass tile considered poor quality? It seems to be about mid-range price in comparison to the other tiles offered where I bought these. So there's nothing the installer could have done to make these tiles crack?

o

I've paid more for glass mosaics and they were cracked, chipped and some even lost the finish. I highly doubt the tile setter chipped them especially in middle of the sheets. They probably weren't inspected well and bad pieces were used. And it looks like a lot of that will still clean up.

o

That's good to hear - at least it is not due to installation and can be cleaned up! Thanks!

o

Those particular tiles are notoriously difficult to make look smooth and flat. We charge double our usual rate for them. There are a lot of tiles that get removed and replaced during installation to make it look acceptable, and I still don't like it when its done.

If you want a glass tile look with straight grout edges, a smooth flat surface, and a consistent look, then buy other tiles.

On the whole this is fixable by spending some time with a popsicle stick making the grout joints look better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here