Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Guest Bath Layout

Posted by ChangeIsGoodToo (My Page) on
Tue, May 14, 13 at 8:40

Hello,

We are getting ready to remodel our guest bath and are considering changing the plumbing to open up the space. I have attached two ideas:

"Option 1" would keep the plumbing the same. With this option, we would only be able to have an 18" deep vanity and the space around the current wall by the tub is tight to move around.

"Option 2" would involve moving the plumbing and a smaller vanity but I think would make the space feel more open.

I would appreciate any thought or ideas on what you think would work best and if it would be worth the added cost of moving the plumbing.

We are also open to any other layout suggestions.

Thank you for your time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Guest Bath Layout

What about switching the vanity and tub in option 1? That gives more of an open feel when entering vs a wall.

o

Looking at option 2 how big of a tub are you getting? There may not be enough room on that one wall for everything with enough clearance.

o

ikea_gw - We are planning on getting a 5' tub. Most likely it will be 32" wide (Kohler Archer).

williamsem - I sketeched it out reversing the tub and vanity but it still leaves a tight clearance between the tub and vanity. Please let me know if I am overlooking something.

Thank you for your help!

o

You have a similar layout (just shorter) than our main bath. I am switching the plumbing and putting toilet across from vanity beside tub. I will be putting a linen tower (only 15" deep) across from toilet on other end of tub to improve access (ie 3" shorter than vanity).

For your linen closet in Option 2, is it 32" deep with access from short end, or is it open shelves to the tub? If it's shelves, then you could put the shelves at the other end if you put toilet across from vanity. This way you could have a much longer counter. In a guest bath, I think longer counter trumps slightly deeper, but much shorter...

o

Here is a picture of my 5' tub with a cabinet next to it. The wall is like yours, 6.5' long. I love my setup. I like the idea of a linen tower. I had a window in the way :)

photo IMG_3107_zps675ccb40.jpg

low shot of tub photo IMG_3885_zps71183be4.jpg

tub cabinet pullout photo IMG_3893_zps2cc06f1f.jpg

o

I also would recommend switching the tub and vanity of option 1.

An 18" wide, 3 foot deep linen cabinet is not all that useful. I think you'd have to plan to do something similar to enduring (short structure and not a linen closet) if you did plan 2.

If you do the alternate plan 1 as I and the other poster suggest, you could still have a linen cabinet on the toilet end if you wanted (with a 3 or 4' vanity)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here