Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kss1956

changing color of tub and tiles

kss1956
11 years ago

I am starting to look into remodelling my bathtub from an unsightly salmon color. I read reviews on major companies who do liners like bathfitter and there were many complaints. I then read about reglazing which companies state the pros of doing this versus using liners. I will do further research, but would like any advice. I don't want a job turning into a nightmare! I appreciate your help

Comments (8)

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

We just had a tub painted, reglazed, whatever you want to call it. It came out great! The cost was less than $500 and there is a 15 year prorated garantee. After it dried (2 days) I noticed a slight sharpness around the drain and a slight run on the side. They came out right away and fixed both areas. Looks great and is so easy to clean.

Here are some photos.

After

Before

• albryant
    11 years ago

Debrak - your tub looks fantastic! Do you mind sharing the company that you used? We are keeping our cast iron tub and want to have it reglazed.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

I used Munro Products and attached a link below. While they are located in Western New York it looks like they train people from all over.

Munro was recommended to me by a local well known contractor. I checked with the BBB, went to their showroom, asked lots of questions, and watched the videos on the website. The items in the showroom really sold me. We didn't want to change the tile color just the tub. I will consider them in the future for some ugly tile in a rental property we have.

hth

Here is a link that might be useful: Munro products tub refinishing

• clg7067
    11 years ago

I have Angies List and I was checking review on those. There are a few companies that get rave reviews, and a few that get very poor reviews.

I imagine a lot of that depends on who is doing the actual work, and training/products, etc. So, check out the companies themselves.

I was going to do it, but my shower was too far gone and needed to be removed.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

One more suggestion. Get the non skid bottom. Extra cost but worth it. You can't use rubber mats in a painted tub.

• kss1956
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your suggestions. My bathtub is not too bad of a color. It is my tiles that I would like to change. I could paint, reglaze or remove them and put board up. I read the following on a forum on "This Old House":the only way to reglaze your tiles would be to crank up the heat in your bathroom to 2,300 degrees for several hours. But there's an easier way to get rid of the pink: with paint.

One do-it-yourself option is to paint the tile �using a special primer, such as XIM 400, that is formulated to bond with ceramic tile.recommends spraying on the primer�and the paint�rather than ...... With either method, the grout and tile have to be in perfect shape because the coatings will magnify any imperfections..."

I was surprised when I read about reglazing-cranking up the heat to 2,300 degrees. Maybe reglazing is not the way to go.

Right now, I would guess that removing the tiles would be the most efficient way to go. Your thoughts?

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Right, but do you need to reglaze? Again they can be painted. DIY or professionally like I used for the tub. BTW you can buy the supplies from Munro to DIY.

The shine is taken off tile/tub and then painted.

It depends on your tile condition and your budget, etc.

If your tile is solid and you don't want to buy/install new then consider painting. If the tile is not in good condition and/or you have the budget, remove and install new.

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

Painted tiles--or tubs--is wasted money. You're just counting down the time until they peel. It's an evil "to sell the house" deed that you do to the next homeowner on a little used bath, not something you can live with for everyday used bath beyond a month or so.

You can buy a decent new tub for around $500. Brand new inexpensive white tile can be had for .49 or even less. Use your creativity with the layout, and you can have a fresh new---and waterproof--bath for not much money at all.