Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisishishouse

cost diff for Steam shower?

thisishishouse
9 years ago

Can anyone offer any guidance on the expected cost differential to have a steam shower over a regular shower?

The area we've allocated for our shower is 7'Lx 5.5'D x 8'H, with walls all around and a single glass door.

I think we'll need a vapor-proof membrane all around, a tight-sealed glass door, maybe some different kind of tile/grout, and of course the steam generator (along with power/water to it)

What (ballpark) should adding steam to a shower add to the cost?

Comments (7)

• zagyzebra
    9 years ago

I am preparing to install a steam shower with marble. Since I have not done a regular shower in quite some time, I cannot speak to the cost differential. The cost for prepping my steam shower is roughly $1,000. It's a little larger than yours. Other costs: two steam generators due to marble. Mr. Steam will tell you that all stone, as opposed to glass or porcelain, necessitates additional steam power. So if you want to keep your costs down, do not go the natural stone route. Then the ancillaries add up. In addition to the regular shower fixtures, you'll need a steam generator head, thermostat, etc. Plus, there is the notion of relaxing in steam that compels you to do things you might not normally do in a quick in-and-out shower, such as adding an audio speaker and chromotherapy lights. All told and off the top of my head, I'd guess a steam shower might add roughly $3000 at the low end and $7000 at the high. That said, I haven't yet priced my shower door. It's on my to-do list. Oh, one more thing a steam shower needs: a bench, preferably one you can stretch your body on. For this you must tack on the additional cost of fabrication and slabs. And slabs can be extremely expensive. Hope this helps some.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Double your price at a minimum. And don't be a masochist and use stone. That will mold inside the stone within 18 months and it'll all have to be torn out.

• StoneTech
    9 years ago

Yep.....about twice as much.....

• LeeMiller
    9 years ago

My plumber strongly recommended a prebuilt unit, rather than install. I think installing custom was maybe $1,000 more than a prebuilt? We decided against it since resale is a big consideration for us.

• thisishishouse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just a follow-up note, for any others researching this. Got a quote back from our installer. The extra bits (steam generator, controller, drain pan, head) plus the extra connections (extra electric and plumbing run) will run us just about $3k, which is in line with what I was hoping.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Don't forget the extra vaporproofing, including the ceiling. And the extra tile to cover the ceiling. And the extra glass to fully seal the area. And the extra ventilation required to dry it out and keep it from moulding when you're done. All of that adds up. Not just the steam portions. Add another 3K beyond just the steam parts, minimum. And, all of the labor to do all of that extra as well. Another 3K for all of that too.

• xedos
    9 years ago

Don't forget the vapor proof lighting !

$$$

A generator large enough for that size room is going to cost $2500 + by itself.