Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Position of Handles on Vanity

Posted by kisu (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 12 at 5:42

Please see pictures linked below of a small master bathroom. We didn't like the handles that came with the IKEa Godmorgon 47" double cabinet, so we bought some others from IKEA. We are modern-minimalist with a strong Bauhaus leaning. This bathroom is a little bit asymetric and has 12"x24" tiles covering completely all walls and floors.

There are 6 positions we could install the handles (really).
I have mocked up the top 3 choices. Anyone want to weigh in an opinion?

Position 1 : Traditional Centered handles on all 4 drawers - traditional way people expect and it works well.

Position 2: move all 4 handles to the left side of the drawers respectively (about an inch in from left).

Position 3: Pull all handles inward so they are all in the center of the cabinet itself rather than center of drawers - an inverted look.

Please review the mock up pictures - I would love your opinion:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/neophile100/sets/72157629844461128/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Position of Handles on Vanity

fyi. the pics are low quality so the coloring is way off - the tiles are actually green/gray but they look pinkish in the photos.

o

I'll preface my vote by saying that I am more tranditional/transitional in style and a big fan of symmetry, whenever possible. So, no surprise that I prefer Option 1.

o

*traditional

I hate it when I make typos... even more than asymmetry! lol

o

From a strictly engineering POV, they should be centered on the drawer otherwise you'll be pulling out the drawer at an angle which can cause it to cant and not function smoothly.

o

That is a good point Annie - I was thinking of that - but these handles are so long that we didn't think it would be an issue.

For example, even if we mounted them in center, people will not necessarily grab in the center and handles are about 12" long. One could grab just the far left inch or just the far right inch and pull with 2 fingers albeit they would still be more centered than if we put handles all to the leftish.

o

Everything in that photo is so symmetrical that having them asymmetrical just looks like an error to me.

o

I like #1. The other options give the illusion that the vanity has doors and not drawers.

o

Your bathroom is FANTASTIC. I love what you have done and if you used Ikea you must have gotten quality and a great deal. I prefer #1 centered the most.

o

Thanks for all the input. We have installed the handles.
Wow - everyone voted for center - I was a little surprised.

the ikea cabinet is a "holding" piece to get us through inspection. It might stay, or I might have something of the same dimensions made in walnut to match our kitchen cabinet wood. I might wait until it falls apart a little to do that.

o

I would love to see the walnut. I see that the sides of your existing vanity has a darkness to it. I think walnut in the front would be wonderful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here