Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lhgreenacres_gw

My new marble hexagon's look horrible- please help

lhgreenacres
12 years ago

I just had a beautiful polished crema Marfil hexagon floor installed. It look absolutely gorgeous until it was grouted. There was a haze all over the floor after it dried. The tile contractor has been back twice and today used a buffer to try to remove the haze. It still looks dull and nothing like it looked before it was grouted. He insisted it is fine and that is how it is supposed to look. I did some research and I realized he used a sanded grout. The grout spaces are a little less than 1/8". Any help or advice on what to do now? Can it be fixed, did the grout cause the problem? It was also not sealed before it was grouted. Could that have caused this? I am at a loss and do not know what to do. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (24)

• nycbluedevil
    12 years ago

I have exactly the same problem with polished botticino marble mosaics on my shower floor. The floor looked fine before grouting, now there is a haze we can't figure out how to remove. Also used sanded grout. Also no sealing before which makes sense since the grout is what should get sealed when you used a polished stone.

Hopefully someone has the answer.

• johnfrwhipple
    12 years ago

Rarely do I see sanded grout scratch a tile surface. Perhaps this is the case here and the grout actually acted like sand paper and removed the fine polish on the stone.

Often my setters will blend one part sanded with one part non-sanded grout and try that on a mock up.

Every grout job should not be started until a test board is done. Things like this happen everyday. Learn from these lessons and insist of this demo board.

To remove heavy grout build up in Vancouver I use a grout and tile cleaner from Aqua-Mix. In Vancouver it can be purchased at Pamas Slate & Stone.

Good Luck.

Read the instructions and careful with this product. It will eat through your clothes. Wear eye protection, a mask and use in a ventalated place.

JW

Here is a link that might be useful: Aqua-Mix

• ruthie51
    12 years ago

We had a similar issue with our honed marble backsplash, however, we didn't notice it until weeks after the job was done. You can't see it when the undercabinet lighting is on, but you can see it when natural light hits it and it looks awful. We had a marble guy in and he used a razor to gently scrape off the residue. It took him hours and the countertops were covered with white powder when he was done. It didn't fix the problem completely, but it did help. Of course marble scratches, so he was very careful with the razor. I'm not sure this will help you...maybe you can try it in an inconspicuous area to see if it removes the hazy residue. Good luck!

• lhgreenacres
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions. JW - I actually contacted the grout company and they recommended the same product. They also recommended a reviver product to use with a floor sander after using the cleaner. The tile contractor is still saying that the floor looks fine and I do not know what to do. Do you think that we can clean and buff the floor ourselves or would you hire another professional to do the work.

• lpennington
    12 years ago

No, make the original flooring contractor make this right. This is a common mistake if the grouting process isn't done correctly and he likely knows it.

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

yeah. I'd guess he knows it. suggest he get his eyes checked?

what's fine to him, isn't to you. your tile, your money.

you also might call a tile store and ask them what grout to use for that type of tile - a back up opinion.

• lhgreenacres
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I actually contacted the grout manufacturer and they said that it should have been unsanded grout for polished marble with 1/8in spaces. If you can believe I had my husband do a sample board with a left over piece with unsanded grout, same color, same brand and it looks like it is going to be completely different. The grout is not fully dry but will have the complete picture tomorrow. It is very upsetting dealing with the contractor who does not seem to be willing to take any responsibility. I am going to have a tile technician to look at the floor and give an estimate to fix it. I am hoping that it can be fixed and that it does not need to be removed.

• johnfrwhipple
    12 years ago

I would not panic right now and lets see how your test board turns out.

The floor can use a good bit of elbow grease and a light scrub pad or rag to remove as much haze as possible. Then repeated again with fresh water and a rinse.

The cleaner is added to clean water. The mix is on the instructions. The floor is cleaned and then the acid neutralized with fresh water rinsing. You can sample the cleaner on your test board first.

If you do this yourself or your contractor does care should be taken with eye glasses, mask and gloves. Both my knees have scares from resting in cleaner for to long. It is not particularly hard but does involve a far bit of elbow grease and time on your knees.

It's easy to scratch natural stone. Test all your rags and scrub pads on the sample board.

Good Luck.

JW

• whiterabbit
    10 years ago

I too freaked out when after a few days my polished crema marfil and noci mosaic tiles were left very hazy after grouting. I tried water and vinegar; that did nothing. Then I just rubbed very hard with a white terry cloth towel. That worked, sort of, but it was very labor intensive just to do one little mosaic. Then I tried my tried and true product: Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover. Worked like a charm. I put some on a soft cloth and rubbed lightly then polished the tile with a dry cloth. I tried to avoid putting the product on the grout (just because). I did not do the whole floor, just a few tiles. I am still waiting for the tile guy to come and finish his job. He says he will be cleaning the floors with a lemon oil product and it will remove the haze and return the tiles to their original luster. We'll see. If not, at least I know that my Bug and Tar Remover will do the job if all else fails. I also ordered Stone Care Pro: BATH & SHOWER Soap Film/Hard Water Remover. I read that it was a good product for this problem.

• xxxxOldTimeCarpenter
    10 years ago

Sounds to me like the tiler did not seal the marble before setting it. It should be sealed three times:

1. Before it is set
    2. After setting but before grouting and
    3. After grouting.

Otherwise the grout gets into the pores of the stone and is difficult to remove.

However, if the tiler has hone the tile to remove the embedded grout, the resulting matt finish can be restored to a semi-glass with an ordinary automobile buffer and buffing compound..

• kevbocometh
    10 years ago

maybe the point of sealing the stone tile before you grout is to avoid the haze.
    -in other words i agree with xxxoldtimecarpenter. !!!!

• PRO
    Stoneshine
    10 years ago

Yes your stone can absolutley be fixed.First sanded grout should not be used in marble installations. Second using an acidic compound on an acid sensitive material is not the way to go. It simply isnt a DIY project. The sanded grout more likely than not has left a haze from the residue. The way to do this is to rehone the stone using diamond abrasives and repolish the stone using a polishing compound for marble.
    Having a Bone Fide stone refinisher(with references) do it.
    That is the standard way to do it o fcourse it must be accessed by a pro to determine to tweak the process based on the installation and type of stone.
    Tec Grout is excellent grout -pieces of rocks how would he know that!
    Sealing stones three times is a myth probably started by the sealing companies in the first place to sell lots of sealer.
    Crema Marfil is a compact limestone and isnt that porous even less when polished.

• PRO
    Stoneshine
    10 years ago

Yes your stone can absolutley be fixed.First sanded grout should not be used in marble installations. Second using an acidic compound on an acid sensitive material is not the way to go. It simply isnt a DIY project. The sanded grout more likely than not has left a haze from the residue. The way to do this is to rehone the stone using diamond abrasives and repolish the stone using a polishing compound for marble.
    Having a Bone Fide stone refinisher(with references) do it.
    That is the standard way to do it o fcourse it must be accessed by a pro to determine to tweak the process based on the installation and type of stone.
    Tec Grout is excellent grout -pieces of rocks how would he know that!
    Sealing stones three times is a myth probably started by the sealing companies in the first place to sell lots of sealer.
    Crema Marfil is a compact limestone and isnt that porous even less when polished.

• Lisa G
    8 years ago

@lhgreenacres - I'm finding myself in the same predicament. Did the contractor end up fixing it, if so how so? Thanks!

• User
    8 years ago

We just had the white hex tile installed with whisper gray grout. it now looks very dirty even after using a haze remover. The guy at the tile shop told me it's because the stone is pourous and the grout color has seeped into the stone. Should have sealed it before grouting. Hope he's wrong and we can find a way to make it look clean again.

• PRO
    Cabot & Rowe
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Normally the sealant does little to nothing on the sides of the tiles. Cement based grouts and Spectralock do 'grow' into soft stones such as marble. This is why we recommend a sample board or 2 first. Normally a whiter or very light grey grout is chosen,

• PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    8 years ago

Day after day - week after week - people are searching for fixes for Marble Tile installations. Like no other stone or no other tile - marble is in a class all by itself. I'm boggled so many still choose it for their homes.

Houzz Resource: [WHY MARBLE MIGHT BE WRONG FOR YOUR BATHROOM[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/why-marble-might-be-wrong-for-your-bathroom-stsetivw-vs~12133357)

• PRO
    Mark Van Osdol/Van Osdol Ceramic Tile Inc
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Sounds like you hired the wrong guy. Sand will scratch the surface of the marble. Here is a cream of Marfil job that we installed and it looks like glass.

• PRO
    Mark Van Osdol/Van Osdol Ceramic Tile Inc
    8 years ago

The haze remover he used has acid in it which dissolves the calcium in the marble therefore etching the surface because of this the only way to bring back the shiny luster of the tile is to polish and burnish the calcium in the marble.

• elissakennedy
    7 years ago

We just had the same problem with honed marble tile. Did you ever get it solved? Maybe you can save me a few steps!

• millworkman
    7 years ago

elissa, you best bet is to start a new post with photos and step by step installation instructions. There can be many reasons why you are having this issue, many of which are not good. But it is impossible to tell or help you without more info.

• PRO
    EPHROSS DESIGNS
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

There is no license needed to install tile. It appears that your installer had little experience with marble installations. When installing marble or Limestone tile ALWAYS:

1.Before grouting, on a very clean and dry floor, apply a grout release or a first coat of sealer onto the tile to make it easier to clean off the grout. Use only clean water to rinse the flooring. Note use a penetrating sealer and if you don't want the color of your stone to darken, do not use color enhancing sealer!

2. ALWAYS USE UNSANDED GROUT. Sanded grout can scratch the surface of your stone.

3.After grouting and a day or two to allow the grout to dry. Make sure the surface of the marble is clean and apply a final coat of sealer.

4.DO NOT use a haze remover that is acidic only use one that is specified for marble floors. Acid will etch the surface of the marble and ruin it.

5. CLEANING , use stone soap which can be purchased at most big box hardware stores or tile suppliers or water and mop with a damp mop. Rinse your mop frequently and change the water often as the dirt in the water can get into the grout and/or scratch a polished marble surface.

I do hope that your tile problem has been resolved. There is nothing prettier than natural stone for flooring.

• IntExt Reno
    3 years ago

I agree with one person above, a bit pricier porcelain tiles will do the job and, no headaches