Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Closet organization systems--please advise.

Posted by dibgar (My Page) on
Fri, May 31, 13 at 1:51

In the process of remodeling three bathrooms and redoing paint and flooring in the rest of the house, we ended up taking down rods and shelves in all of our closets.

Closet systems were not part of the scope of work--our responsibility, not the contractor's. He recommended a closet system installer, but my husband wanted to explore other options including doing it ourselves. Unfortunately, we delayed too long.

With all of the other decisions we had to make for the major remodel, we did not get our act together to plan the closets while the rest of the work was being done. Now we are stuck with no where to hang anything we own.

We left for Japan just 2 days after the contractor completed the majority of his job. When we return home in a few days, we have to finish arranging furniture and we will face piles of everything that came out of the old closets.

Figuring out what to do in all of the closets is now a top priority. We need a plan for 3 bedroom closets, the entry coat closet, a new small pantry and the laundry room.

We will welcome suggestions for design/install companies or for resources for obtaining diy materials. My husband is very handy, but he may not have time to do it all himself.

What materials are best? What features should we be sure to include for each space?

Thank you for your help.
Bonnie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Closet organization systems--please advise.

My recommendation is Elfa from container store and ikea systems. I love the ikea wardrobes but if you can't fit them in your closets, Elfa is fantastic and easy to install too.

o

I second the Elfa suggestion. Container store will help you design your closets, either online/over the phone or in store. You can do it yourself or pay to have them install it. We put Elfa shelving and drawers in our kids' closet and it now holds twice the stuff it used to! I want it in my closet and we are planning to put it in our soon-to-be pantry, but we are waiting for the end-f-the-year sale (30% off).

o

Third vote here for the Elfa system from The Container Store. Much stronger and better made than the cheaper ones. More options too. Money well spent. I like having two tiers for shirts/blouses and just the right amount of space for pants/dresses and miscellaneous. Our home was built in 1965 and we needed to make the very best of the smaller (by today's standards) closets.

-Babka

o

elfa, elfa, elfa!!!!! Very happy elfa customer here. We did my DH's closet last year, and my closet (newly built) a few months ago. We got our elfa closet systems during their annual sale(s). Not only 30% off on all the elfa components, but installation is also 30% off during the sale as well.

o

when is the annual sale? I just visited Ikea and got their catalog.

o

The 30% big elfa sale starts December 26 to Valentine's day. Then in August they have a 25% off all shelving sale. That includes elfa shelving, but not the drawers if that is part of your plan. You could plan for them, install the rest, and just buy anything else in January if you want to save $$.

I love elfa, have put it in four homes, it is the only time I ever use my drill! I am not particularly DIY, except for elfa. They will help you plan it, too! They can install it, but really, if you have a stepstool, a level, a pencil, and a drill, you can install it. If you don't have one near you, you can go to the website; they'll make a plan for you and you can order it all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here