Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problem with Toilet Placement

Posted by ev2012 (My Page) on
Sat, May 25, 13 at 1:37

Our plumber just completed the installation of our Toto Legato toilet in our new, totally remodeled bath. Problem is it is 2" form the finished tiled wall, which seems very far. Same toilet was installed several months ago in another bath, by same plumber, at only 1/2 " from finished wall. Another toilet was installed a few years ago in another bath at 11/2" from the wall and we were not pleased then. Why is this happening? All baths are complete remodels, same plumber, and we were told in each case o get a 12" toilet, which we did.

I think one inch is best, but don't know if this can be fixed nor why this happened. Since all baths were complete tear downs, with city inspections, and according to MA code.
What can we do now? I do not like the look and want to get this right. Final inspections is this week.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem with Toilet Placement

There is likely a joist in the way to have it centered at exactly 12". Those are all within tolerances.

o

I'm not a plumbing expert, but I just read up so I could pick my toilet recently. Is it possible you have a 14 in rough in and the plumber just assumed it was 12 when he told you 12? It's possible, 12 is overwhelmingly the most common. You may be able to get a 14 in unifit adapter from Toto if that's the case. I don't know how they work in terms of if they are rigid or more telescoping for length, but if they have some flexibility in length the 14 in might allow a good fit.

I'd at least ask, as that would be an easy fix if that's the issue.

o

I bet kirkhall is correct. We also ran into a floor joist problem. You can try the unifit adapter, but if the 2" is actually slightly less than 2" it probably will not work as my understanding is you can only make changes in 2" increments.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here