Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small chip in new acrylic tub...what to do?

Posted by brugloverz9 (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 08 at 1:28

I told my GC about this small chip I found in my new acrylic tub. He said he would have someone come out and fix it. I thought maybe there was a do it yourself repair. Anyone know?
Thanks, Margie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small chip in new acrylic tub...what to do?

If it's a brand new house let the experts come and repair it.

You will never know it was there.

o

Anita...the house is not brand new...but the bathroom is.
You are probably right, I will not be happy unless it is right.

o

I have basically the same problem, but after the repair I definitely know it was there. The chip is gone, but the repair guy sprayed on something that has changed the gloss substantially as well as the texture.

Not sure what the process should be, but this doesn't seem right. Shouldn't it involve some sanding with increasing grit numbers to get it smooth?

o

The professional fellow came out yesterday afternoon to fix the dent. The chip is gone, like heimert said, but I too notice a different "spray look" texture in that area. The man said to let it dry for 24 hours and did not say he would be back to sand. So, I guess that is the way it is intended to stay. Actually you have to really look to see it. It is really not very noticable to me unless I really look for it.

o

I have the same problem - a chip in my tub. But the problem is that we are DIYers - can this repair be done by yourself or does a professional need to do it? If a professional needs to do it, any recommendations in southern california? thanks!

o

I heard that you can use something like a porcelain fixer kit, but that the patch may turn darker after some years. The fill that the professional use is like they use for fillings in your teeth...and they say it never darkens. Do a google search for a repair man for acrylic tubs. Mine was done in N. CA, let me know if you want the mans name and maybe he could recommend someone for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here