Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cruisedirector_gw

Kerdi vs. Redguard

cruisedirector
13 years ago

Having never heard of either of these two months ago, I now am suddenly obsessed with which is better for my new shower.

Thank you everyone for the terrific learning opportunities here!

My contractor uses Redguard and has not used Kerdi, but knows what it is. In fact, I've been to 3 different tile supply stores this weekend and none were very familiar with it. One had at least heard of it.

I live in the Phoenix area so mold and moisture aren't really a problem we usually have, but a leaky shower is a leaky shower, right?

I have confidence in my contractor and tile guy, but just want to be sure that Redguard will be an acceptable solution.

We will have 16" travertine walls and 2x2 marble floor.

Comments (8)

• johnfrwhipple
    13 years ago

Each has their own pros and cons.

We build upscale bathrooms every month here in Vancouver and I have used Red Guard, Kerdi and Mapei with great success.

Kerdi has the benifit of blocking steam and is a great option for steam showers - I have never received free material from Schulter and have paid for my Schulter training through our local Stone and Tile Association.

As we speak I have a ton of product from Laticrete - this product was given to me to try and only because I asked for it. Of the top posters I follow online many use Hydroban (Like Redguard but made from Laticrete). If the top guys are using this liquid membrane for day by day and using Kerdi in their steamers seams to me that these are good options.

I look forward to using my Hydroban and am so confident in it's design will test it first in my own home's shop and then in my daughter's bathroom.

Kerdi is great - but a little hard to install. If steam is not a factor the liquid approach is safer.

As for Ditra - this is the golden product and I have installed all over Vancouver on every job we do...

• cruisedirector
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Whew, thank you for your info. I feel much better.

• bill_vincent
    13 years ago

Very few people I've seen, either in person or on line, don't have the aptitude to install Kerdi. As far as I've seen, it's about as fool proof as it gets. That said, I agree with John in that unless you're doing a steam shower, the other membranes will work just as well for you.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

We used Laticrete's Hydroban in our guest bathroom shower and DH plans to use it in both upstairs bathrooms' tub areas.

• MongoCT
    13 years ago

Redgard is fine. Just avoid pinholes and get the proper mil thickness. If your tiler likes it and is practiced in its use, then all will be well.

Kerdi is fine too.

Both perfectly appropriate.

• bill_vincent
    13 years ago

Yeah. What He said.

:-)

• bill_vincent
    13 years ago

I look forward to using my Hydroban and am so confident in it's design will test it first in my own home's shop and then in my daughter's bathroom.

John, you won't be disappointed. It's a good product with a company standing behind it that WILL stand behind their warranty. Of all the roll ons, the Hydroban would be my choice.