Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

I love Laticrete 255! It's SO worth it!

mahatmacat1
13 years ago

Just a WIP post about the mosaic that ate Oregon, currently being installed in my DD's bathroom. I used 255, as Bill recommended, until I ran out (the tilesetter used it too for the tub surround walls), and then I tried to cheap out and use the Laticrete 'multipurpose' (not multipurpose pro, but I didn't want to have to buy a huge bag of it-- so technically the multipurpose pro remains untested) at Lowe's with latex admix instead. SO not worth the time. I would put it onto the wall and put the mosaic up (pieces vary from maybe 1/4x1/2" to 2x2") and the darn thinset would just sag down the wall! It was so incredibly frustrating.

So I gave in and ordered another bag of the expensive 255. Mixed some up, put up some mosaic this afternoon, and voila, I'm back in business! It actually stays where it's put on the wall holds pieces of any size that are put into it. Who knew that thinsets could vary so drastically...

So if you need non-sag, DIY-friendly thinset that won't make you tear your hair out (and make you look like Medusa in the process :)), shell out the extra $$ and get your local tile shop to sell you some of the real Laticrete stuff, specifically the 255. You will *NOT* be sorry. Thank you SO much, bill (and mongo, if you also recommended it--I don't remember) for recommending it.

Pics will be coming--in the midst of all this we had computer issues. I'm torn between letting you see the 'during' pics or waiting until the nice grouted and clean 'after' -- my durings are nowhere as clean as mongo's :)

Comments (3)