Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
walk-in shower still under consideration- tile advice?

Posted by lori_inthenw (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 12 at 0:24

I could live with a low curb if this is too much of a pain, but I'd like the shower to be as accessible as possible. Also, I thought it would seem larger visually to have the floor tiles go across the floor in front of the toilet and vanity, across the shower, and up the side of the tub on the other side.

The thing is, it is a relatively small room and I'm thinking larger format tiles would be a nice look. Maybe set with the long axis running from left to right to make the room look larger. I do know the conventional wisdom says to use smaller tiles on the shower floor to allow for more traction, but I've also seen larger tiles used (with a linear drain, but that's another topic).

Anyone here have recommendations for specific tiles to check out for this application? I saw a nice one at Ann Sacks the other day with a quartzite look. It had enough texture that it seemed like it would be "grippy" when wet. I loved it until I saw a full-size piece and a "vein" running through it. I don't want to worry about how to lay those out and I'm looking for something more visually consistent, so need to find some new candidates. I'm thinking of a medium gray if I can find the right texture.

(Or if you have a room like this and hate it because the water splashes out and gets your socks wet, feel free to mention that, too)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: walk-in shower still under consideration- tile advice?

Do you happen to like the wood-look tiles? I'm no expert, but those can be quite long and have kiiiind of a similar effect to the large tiles, but there would be more grout under your feet in the shower area. Maybe you could look into that?

Oh... I do see you want a medium grey, so maybe that won't work. Enh, I'll post anyway in case you start to go in a different color direction. :D

o

We just did a major bath Reno removing the tub and installing a walkin shower. We did it with a slot drain and zero clearance invisible glass door to the floor. Our bathroom was small and this opened it up making it visually larger in appearance. We did 12x12 tiles on the floors with 6x18 laid horizontally in a brick pattern for the walls to the ceiling with the ceiling 12x12 there is a two row mosaic patter 2x2 at shoulder height o break up the pattern. I just love how it turned out and you will be too.

o

Thanks both of you for your replies.

Therenee: I had not thought of a very long skinny tile as an alternative, will look into that. I like some of the ones that look sort of "influenced" by wood instead of mimics of wood.

Lornas: That sounds JUST like what we are talking about. Our house is not even built, I just don't feel like devoting a lot of space to the bathroom, but I want it to feel bigger than it is. I haven't decided if we'll need a glass panel plus a door or try to make do with just a panel, since the whole floor will be tile. Have you been using yours for a while? How much water gets out? Do you have pictures posted anywhere that I can have a look at?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here