Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ledmond

walk-in shower still under consideration- tile advice?

LE
11 years ago

I could live with a low curb if this is too much of a pain, but I'd like the shower to be as accessible as possible. Also, I thought it would seem larger visually to have the floor tiles go across the floor in front of the toilet and vanity, across the shower, and up the side of the tub on the other side.

The thing is, it is a relatively small room and I'm thinking larger format tiles would be a nice look. Maybe set with the long axis running from left to right to make the room look larger. I do know the conventional wisdom says to use smaller tiles on the shower floor to allow for more traction, but I've also seen larger tiles used (with a linear drain, but that's another topic).

Anyone here have recommendations for specific tiles to check out for this application? I saw a nice one at Ann Sacks the other day with a quartzite look. It had enough texture that it seemed like it would be "grippy" when wet. I loved it until I saw a full-size piece and a "vein" running through it. I don't want to worry about how to lay those out and I'm looking for something more visually consistent, so need to find some new candidates. I'm thinking of a medium gray if I can find the right texture.

(Or if you have a room like this and hate it because the water splashes out and gets your socks wet, feel free to mention that, too)

Comments (3)