Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christam_gw

Kohler 1821 or Maax Pose 6632 tile flanges?

ChristaM
10 years ago

For our modern minimalist bath remodel we want a soaking tub/shower combo that will install into a corner. The shower will not be used daily -- just the back up shower for the 2 of us. The only tubs that fit and that we can agree on style/ depth-wise are drop in tubs with an available tile flange attachment sold by the same manufacturer. Kohler 1821 or the Maax Pose 6632 are the ones we want. Has anyone installed either?

I think that should be fine, but the plumber I usually use doesn't warranty any tub without a built in tile flange for more than 2 years. As in, he can install it so that it doesn't leak but he won't guarantee that it won't leak after several years.

I wonder, what doesn't have the potential to leak? The integrated tub flanges I have seen are less than 1/2" high -- if you use it long enough, I'm guessing water will get in there from time to time no matter what. I am leaning towards getting the tub I want with the separate flange kit, and having the contractor triple waterproof the whole wall/tub zone.

Do y'all think I will live to regret it, or do you think that as long as I maintain the bath grout and caulk, I should be fine? Has anyone installed a drop in tub into a 2-sided alcove? I was thinking I can install the add-on tile flange and put a 1/4 round tile over the top of it using expoxy grout -- or is it better to just do caulk without tile?

The only similar sized tub with alcove flange is the Kohler Tea-for-Two. It's 4" wider which will be a design challenge, and it's cast iron. This is a second floor bathroom, so a 440 lb. cast iron tub that can hold 105 gallons of water (885 lbs weight) sounds like a recipe for problems -- a lot more than a little tile flange.

Comments (4)

• ChristaM
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm also trying to figure out the dimensions for the Maax Pose tub. One Maax tub rep told me the water depth is no more than 12 inches - the tub is 24 inches high, so that sounds wrong. The guy at the showroom said it was "around" 20 inches deep.

Is it really so unusual for a customer to want to know how deep the water in a soaking tub would be?

• ChristaM
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wanted to share information here in case someone else searches for something similar, so here it goes:

First, if you live in the SF Bay Area, go to TUBZ in Fremont. They have tons of tubs and really nice people working there. The prices are good too.

I've been researching the deepest soaking tub for a 66x32 tub size. (For the most part the information is the same for the 60x32 versions.) Many tubs do not list the water depth information, but I found that to be the most important number (that and gallons). I don't understand why some manufacturers don't provide this info.

Below is the water depth for the following models based on my own measuring with a tape (might be off by a fraction):

Maax Pose 14.5"
    Maax Rubix 12"

Hydro Systems Sydney 19"
    Hydro Systems Lacey 17.5"

Kohler Underscore 1821 18"
    Duravit Stark 17"
    Vero 6632 C 17.25"

Another issue is that I'm installing the tub into a corner and will be using it as a shower too. So I need a tile flange on 2 sides which is not standard (they all either have 3 sided alcove style or none). There are some nice tubs available that are curved on one corner, but those won't work for my installation because my drain is on the rounded corner side, not the wall corner side.

HOWEVER, I learned it's possible to have a flange custom installed onto the Hydro Systems or Kohler tubs prior to delivery. For me this is the best option. This added on flange is not 100% as waterproof as a factory molded flange, but I'm going to live with the slightly higher risk of leak. It's going in our master bath and we are tidy. I promise to maintain my caulk and grout!

Skirts:
    Maax and Hydro Systems are available as alcove tubs with tile flanges and skirts. Hydro Systems can do custom orders (2 flanges/2 skirts).

Maax tubs are a noticeable step down in quality IMHO. They look a little more builder grade/extra shiny and the textured bottoms look like they would be a PITA to keep clean. Maax is less expensive so you get what you pay for in quality I think. The Maax tubs also have feet so they can be installed on top of the floor -- so even though the tubs are 20 and 22 inches high, the bottom of each tub is about 3 inches off the ground, so that takes away from the depth of the tub.

• GreenHighlighter
    10 years ago

We ordered a Maax Pose air jet tub from Tubz (the best price I could find by far), but it hasn't arrived yet.

Our whole remodel won't be done for another month or so, but I'm sure the tub will be one of the first things I test out. I won't be able to tell you its reliability but can let you know how much I like using it.

• Matt
    9 years ago

Thank you, ChristaM! That was very helpful.