Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
countertop overhang

Posted by ctkathy (My Page) on
Sat, May 4, 13 at 0:02

What is the normal range of overhang for a countertop on a custom vanity?

My contractor has to correct something and he is telling me it is 1/2 inch and that doesn't sound right. Seems like water will drip and be a problem with the cabinets.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: countertop overhang

Mine is appox 1/2in

o

The fabricator that I will be using said 1-1/2". That seems like too much for the modern look I am going for. At the cabinet shop where I am getting my cabinets their counter on display is 1 inch. I did 1-1/2 on my kitchen counters. In my bathroom, where I just completed my counters, I put 1" in the front and 1/2" on the side (about) - I have several planes converging, so that is why the variety in the bathroom.

o

1/2" will work, but I'm planning on 1" for mine, in front and on the sides. Keep in mind the longer the overhang the further away you are from the lip of the sink, which is more of an issue with tooth brushing, and spitting out, etc. than with a kitchen sink. Due to oversight, I barely have an overhang on my basement vanity which was custom made, and just yesterday noticed a chip in the paint on the top door edge under the sink (Our doors go right up to the counter, no false front.) I don't think that would have happened with an overhang.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here