Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

what size tub will fit in my space

3katz4me
16 years ago

I have a three wall alcove for a tub/shower. The current space is 64" from one end to the other. Tubs seem to either be 60 or 66 inches. Does this mean a 66" tub would fit in my space and 2 inches are some how recessed behind the tile walls?

I'm trying to find a nice tub for this space that would accommodate two - love that Kohler Tea for Two but it may be too wide if not too long. Still trying to figure out how to make it fit. The shorter one is also narrower but we really like our longer tub so don't want to downsize to a five foot tub.

Comments (10)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    16 years ago

Yes, in all likelihood there is 2 inches taken up by plaster/tile. To my knowledge no-one ever made a 64" tub, it would be 66". Tubs install to the framing, not between wall finishes (mostly). Ascertain how much depth you have. Maybe walls can be modified, doors narrowed, etc. to get what you're after.
    Casey

• jejvtr
    16 years ago

gibby

Tea for 2 -Is drop in or undermount install specs 70 14/" for drop in installation *inside basin is 49"x 22" -

the Steeping tub is :
    With extra depth in a compact design, the Steeping 5' bath brings luxury to compact spaces. Constructed of KOHLER® Cast Iron for long-lasting beauty and reliable performance, this bath features grip rail drillings and the versatility of drop-in, three-wall alcove and undermount installation options.
    Drop-in, three-wall alcove or undermount installation
    Designed for one-person bathing
    Inside basin 43" x19"

I had similiar situation in our MB remodel 2yrs ago 65.5" -Many searches - I ended up w/a 60" tub and had a much needed large niche at end of the tub -

I went with a cast iron Memoirs tub - interesting the bathing well/inside basin is 45'x 23" Once I dug into the Spec pgs at Kohler & realized the bathing well is the most critical measurements - it made finding a 60" tub much easier - the tea for 2 has 21" of what I consider wasted space (diff of top basin vs. internal basin meas) in a tight fitting area this doesn't make sense to me

Good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: tea for 2 specs

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay - thanks. Any ideas on a tub for two that will fit in my space (it's 32" wide) that can be a tub/shower combo? I don't really want an acrylic tub and I don't want to go shorter. I could possibly go wider but it would mean moving a doorway and having shallower vanity cabinetry - which I would consider doing. This is the only tub in the house and DH likes to soak in there and read so the tub is an important feature.

• jejvtr
    16 years ago

Gibby try the Memoirs

Cassie love the tub - yes it has flange - click on link below "integral flange" description
    I ordered fr. local bath shop & they gave competitive pricing - 1st tub arrived & the plumber noticed a minor casting flaw & rec we return - they came w/new one in no time - that's why I prefer local

Here is a link that might be useful: memoirs

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That is a nice one but I'm looking for a 66" tub for two that's suitable for a tub/shower combo that is as narrow as possible since my current space is 32" deep - could go a bit more but I think 36" is too wide. Is there such a thing?

If not, how else can I accomplish this - a 66" tub that you can sit at both ends without something poking you in the back - that works in a tub/shower situation?

• jejvtr
    16 years ago

gibby - I did a little searching on Kohler site - If you specify your search by 5'5" Cast iron tub, alcove install it brings up all avail
    From what I found none of the tubs actually would fit in a 66" spot - due to the top of the basin/edge - the smallest 66" tub I found was Maestro which has a top area of 57"x25" so if you have a true 66" area I don't think it is enough allowance for the 66" tub - I went through this 2 yrs ago --The inside basin for this "5'5" tub is 47" x 21" my 5' memoirs inside is 45"x23" -

Keep searching - But I think you will have better luck w/the 5' , and find the widest you can - go to kohler showroom & sit in both 5'5" & 5' tubs you'll see what I mean by the internal basin

Good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: maestro

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay - I better go sit in some tubs and check it out. Thanks!

• cassie225
    16 years ago

jejvtr- thanks for the info. Think I will order local and see if they will price match.

• jejvtr
    16 years ago

Gibby -
    I just re read some of my posts - thinking i didn't steer you correctly 57" top area may fit into a 66" spot -
    You have 64" right -
    Well try the tubs & read the specs several times & have the plumber agree w/specs & install before purchasing
    Good luck!

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida