Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macman_2009

How wide are your bathroom and bedroom doors?

macman_2009
15 years ago

As we speak, Kurt the Contractor is dismantling the bathroom. I've had to revert to "Plan B," with hints of "Plan C," but the bathroom will morph into something brighter, drier, and more user-friendly.

He just removed the huge 1955 built-in cabinet "thing" and discovered that, yes, we can put in a new and wider door.

The current door into the bathroom is 28-inches wide. There are two bedroom doors in the same area of the hallway. They are each 30 inches wide and they can not be replaced.

Should I replace the bathroom door so it matches the other two 30-inch wide doors? Should I live dangerously and go for 32-inches...or 34...on the bathroom door?

The bathroom is only 7x9 ft. It can not be made "handicapped accessible," but the doorway can be wider than 28."

What would you do?

Comments (9)

• susan631
    15 years ago

My newly remodeled master bedroom will have a 30" door. My new master bathroom will have a 30" door also. I have a second bathroom (my son's bathroom down the hall, which won't be remodeled until some later date), which has only a 24" door. Even that smaller size isn't too bad. So, if your existing door is 28" and you don't want to replace it, I would think it'll be fine. I doubt anyone will be able to notice the difference between the 30" bedroom doors and the 28" bathroom door unless they whip out a tape measure and measure and compare. However, if you do decide to replace the bathroom door, I wouldn't go larger than 30". This is a good size for a bathroom door. I am not even sure if 32" or 34" is a standard size? If that's not standard and it's what you wanted, you'd have to go custom (more expensive). But I don't think larger than 30" is necessary for a bathroom, I think it might seem too big. Let us know what you decide to do. Susan

• zeebee
    15 years ago

I wouldn't worry about the bathroom door matching the other door sizes. Without close scrutiny, 28" and 30" doors off the same hallway, painted the same color, will look the same. Our reno'd bathroom will have a 30" door and that feels right for comfort. Any larger and we'd have clearance issues.

I have a functional 21-1/2" door into my less-used bathroom (old house, weird door sizes all around - we have doors that are 24" wide and 9-1/2 feet tall) and several functional 24" doors into other rooms. For me, even though I can fit through the 24" doors just fine, I feel like I need to angle my shoulders to get in. It's a mental adjustment I make unconsciously - the doorway looks and is smaller than standard, so you feel like you need to lessen yourself to fit through. It's fine for less-visited or less-used rooms like a pantry or closet or even a guest room, but for everyday high-traffic rooms like kitchens and bathrooms, I'd go for the standard 28-30".

• User
    15 years ago

We did the same thing, had 28 inch doors and widened them all to 32. I know that seems large, but it's big enough that should we ever have the need, it will hopefully be able to accomodate handicaped or disabled persons.

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

All of the doors in our home, with the exception of 2 24" doors that go into a small bathroom, are 32". I prefer the look of the wider doors. The 24" doors aren't a problem tho. The 32" doors just look nicer (to me).
    When we replaced the master bedroom door, we chose a solid wood door and our master bathroom door is a full glass door with a "rain" texture.
    Monica.

• glenna
    15 years ago

24" is impossible for a wheelchair and even a walker.

32" is minimum ADA. If you plan to stay in your house into your golden years, think ahead.

• susan631
    15 years ago

Cangelmd- Yes, the 24" bathroom door is functional, does not feel too small to me at all. As Monica said, they aren't a problem.

• grannysmith18
    7 years ago

I've got a 24 inch door and enlarging it is one of my key motivators in doing a renovation. It's fine I guess if all you're doing is walking through. I'm not particularly klutzy or large, but when I'm carrying an armload of towels or anything else I have to pivot and walk in sideways. Constantly banging my elbows. The bathroom is smallish so I've got a robe hook and some shower caps on the door so sometimes the door isn't open all the way - I feel like the giant Alice in Wonderland.

I'd get the wider door. Whatever you can manage without giving up too much real estate you might want for other things.

• scobes1
    4 years ago

Hi, I’m a contractor/framer and I have these discussions all the time. There really no right answer and mostly personal preference. Just keep in mind that the min. Is 24” and maximum is 36”. If you have an older house where you have several doors close together in a narrow hallway I would try to keep them all the same size But you may end up with features that may stop you from achieving this... for example will you have to modify casing, will the door swing interfere with other objects. Think of everything before making a decision.