Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone use 6x6 tile?

Posted by michoumonster (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 5, 12 at 23:40

Hi all, I found a nice looking white and greenish marble tile on closeout. The only catch is that it only comes in 6x6 size. I am not sure if I can make a nice looking bathroom with just this size tile. I am open to mixing in another tile color or size too, like maybe ceramic or glass. But I am having a lot of trouble putting things together. I know subways are more popular right now and that 6x6 can look old fashioned. Can anyone share how I might design the 6x6 tile pattern to look a little more interesting? Any pics you could share?
thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone use 6x6 tile?

There are all sorts of things you can do with 6x6s if you're willing to spend money on a fancy installation.

For wainscoting, start with a row of straight 6x6 from floor-level ad a base treatment. Then switch to a diagonal layout for the body of the wainscot. Maybe top with a half-tile (so 3x6) laid straight as a cap. If you can find coordinating 'pencils', 'cigars' or molded cap rail pieces, you've got even more variety.

On the floor, do the same thing, with straight-laid borders and a diagonal field. Adding a few 'dots' in the field would add even more interest.

o

sweeby, thanks for all of the ideas!
so are you saying to use the 6x6 tile as baseboard, then do straight tiles on top of the baseboard to create wainscot?

do you think that 6x6 would be too small to use for the floors? my bath is 8'x5'. i had heard that larger format tile opens up the space more.

o

I'm saying so a straight row on the bottom 'like a baseboard', then switch to a diagonal layout for the body of the wainscot.

6x6 on the floors are fine! Large floor tiles are a relatively new fashion. 6x6 on the floor is fine and works especially well in a traditional interior. You'll have more grout lines, of course, but that's not the end of the world.

o

thanks Sweeby! one other question, you mentioned that 6x6 works well for traditional interiors. do you think it would be ok for more contemporary looks? I want to do something on the contemporary/transitional side. the color of the tiles i think is kind of contemporary, but not sure if the size would not fit in with this look? i can always go with something different, just that this marble is really something I have never seen before! it is like calcatta but with green in it instead of the grey/tan streaks..

o

I think that's a good size for a small bathroom. I have 6x6 in my small bathroom inside the shower and 4x4 on the floor. The tiles did not make the room look smaller at all- as a matter of fact, it looks bigger with the tile down.
You can buy some tiles and lay them out on the floor to see if you like it.
I see more running bond patterns today than jack-on-jack, which was the most popular tile pattern for a long time. I used running bond on the floor and diagonal on the shower walls. The wainscoting is jack-on-jack with pencil lines cut from the same tile and some mosaic. You have to be careful not to make the design too busy if you like a contemporary vibe, though. Mine is pretty manic.
Renee

o

thanks Renee, the uses of 6x6 is definitely growing on me. i think it will look less busy than subways too (which i had my heart set on). i may still do some subways if my gc is willing to cut my tile down, but i will use this tile regardless since a bargain on tile trumps all, in my book!

o

Sounds like lovely tile -- but to me, marble 6x6's sound much more traditional than contemporary...

For a contemporary look, a very simple layout would be called for -- and probably also a large format tile.

o

thanks Sweeby. I just couldn't pass up the tiles. so I will try to make it work! or maybe i will go for something more transitional or modern with the lighting and vanity..

o

Do they have square or beveled edges? You might persuade your tile guy to cut them in half and voila - a giant pile of 3x6 subways.

o

hi cloudbase, they are square edges. the tiles are completely flat with honed finish. i asked my contractor if he was willing to cut them into subways. i am waiting to see how much he will charge for that though. do you know if it is expensive to do? seems very labor intensive..

o

Subways would be even more traditional...

o

I have no idea how much that would cost. Honestly, there's a lot of tile cutting in a standard installation anyhow, so I don't imagine it would be too exorbitant - but again, that's all assumption on my part.

And if you don't stagger the subways, you can make a very modern look. When it comes down to modern vs traditional, it's not the material, it's what you do with it.

o

what if I did subways on the diagonal or vertical? or herringbone? would these be more modern?

o

Herringbone would not look modern to me- it would look Mediterranean. If you want it to look as modern as possible, go with a very simple pattern.

Do you have a photo of the tile? I'd love to see it.
Renee

o

Hi Hosenemesis,
i am striving for a spanish modern looking house so maybe the herringbone would work for me after all!
Here is a pic of the tile. It is a lot brighter and with light green/grey streaks in real life, but shows up kind of dark with the flash on my camera phone.

I would love some suggestions on other tiles to pair it with!
thanks!

o

It's beautiful. I think it would look good with white or green ceramic tile. Herringbone on the floor, subway running bond halfway up the walls? Have you gone on Houzz to search for inspiration pics?

o

Here are some things to look at.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marble tiles in baths

o

Hi Renee, thanks for the link. I do frequent houzz and spend way too many hours there. it is so difficult to decide what to do after seeing so many ideas!

o

Hahaha- I have the same problem. I spent too much time looking at those beautiful marble baths thinking about how your green marble would look in a herringbone pattern. It's fun, though.
Renee

o

I used 6x6 along with 3x6 subway. Here's a picture:

IMG_3406a

Good luck!

o

jacduf, thank you for the pic. the mix of tile sizes is quite nice. i will have to see if i can do that with mine. That is a lovely bathroom!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here