Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should tile be cut for better layout or not (diagrams included)

Posted by jaidog (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 10, 12 at 23:31

I am using 12" x 24" tile which will be stacked. One of the walls being tiled is 66" long. The left side of this wall is at a corner, the right side continues into the bathroom.

If I go with the first layout shown, the tiles appear more symmetrical, but extra cuts will be required, and I'm not sure how the cut-side of the tile will look since it will either be exposed or meet up with another tile.

If I go with the second layout, the tiles will not look as symmetrical, but only the tiles on the left will need to be cut, and the cut side can be buried in the corner.

Which option is better?

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should tile be cut for better layout or not (diagrams include

I am having trouble visualizing where the wall to the right goes- does it end? How does it continue into the bathroom? You can cut both right and left tiles and turn the cut edge toward the center tile. You can get a file and make the edge smooth, but it takes a bit of practice. If you are using a tile saw you should not have any trouble making good cuts.
Renee

o

Renee:

The wall to the right continues into the bathroom, the tile ends where the shower ends. My plan is that the edge of the tile at this location will be exposed (no Schluter trim, etc).

o
Cut edges always buried?

Renee:

I read somewhere that cut edges should always be "buried" in a corner. Is this incorrect?

o

We used 12 x 24 tile in our master shower and stacked it as shown in your first option. The shower is about 4 feet by 5 feet. However, we used Schluter trim on the side that continued into the room.

o

It depends on the tile and how good the cut and sand is. If you can tell it has been cut, it should be buried.
Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here