Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
von4now

Tub size when used for shower too

von4now
9 years ago

Most tubs that are used for tub/shower combinations have a top basin width of a maximum of 23 - 24", even when it is a 66 L x 30 or 32 0r 34 W. That seems like it is too narrow when used for showering. We have a shower in our downstairs that is 28" x 60" and it has ample room, but 4" less in width seems like it might be difficult to turn around in it to wash/rinse my hair. It will have a curved shower curtain rather than a glass door, so maybe that will make it feel less cramped. Any ideas? I thought about just putting in a soaking tub in that space, but am afraid I won't use it enough for that single purpose.

Comments (7)

• DreamingoftheUP
    9 years ago

I'm putting in a curved shower rod and believe it will be more than adequate based upon my experience with hotel tub/shower combos. I say "adequate" because it obviously is not a huge luxury shower, but I don't have room for that.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

We put Toto 1525's (30" x 60") in our two main bathrooms, and use them for showering every day. We installed curved shower rods (one-piece Crescent Rods) over both of them (the one in the MB is mounted further in than I'd have preferred, but the bathroom size/depth dictated that). There is ample room to shower, turn around while showering, and even wipe the walls down with a microfiber cloth before stepping out of the tub(s).

• von4now
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your replies and advise! This helps me feel more confident going in this direction.

And cat_mom, thanks for providing the brand/model of the tub you have installed. I will check that one out. I have been looking at the Kohler Bellwether, Kohler Archer, or Mirabelle Edenton thus far.

Any other bits of advise for tub/shower combinations? Did you tile the shower walls?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Can you visit a plumbing showroom (not Lowe's or Home Depot, their tubs and toilets tend to be hung up high, although they might have one or two on the floor). Even if you dont' see the particular models, you'll get a sense of the size. I've never found it to be a problem, and we have a shower in one bathroom and tub-shower with a regular-old tub in the other, and I used that one for months.

• von4now
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am going to show rooms this afternoon for that very reason.
    I love this forum to help me problem-solve!

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

We tiled the tub surround walls, as well as the ceilings over the tubs. DH used Hardibacker, "spackled" over the screws and seams with thinset, and he applied three coats of Hydroban waterproofing membrane, prior to our tile installation (we used a professional tile installer).

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

We did a Kohler Expanse tub (curved front) to get that extra room, with a curved shower rod. I really like it!

Pay attention, when you are trying them in show rooms, not just the "width" but also how the bottoms are shaped. You don't to be standing on curved edges either--you want to be able to stand on a relatively flat surface.