Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Top tile/Bottom tile size

Posted by jaidog (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 22:29

I'm planning to use 12" x 24" stacked tiles in my shower. Due to the location of niches and horizontal metal profiles, it would be ideal if the highest tile of my shower is 10 1/2" tall rather than 12". This would leave the bottom tile about 9" tall. Will this look okay or should I strive to get the top tile to be a full 12"? Or, should I try to get both top and bottom tiles to be the same height?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Top tile/Bottom tile size

As much as possible, I think it looks best to either have full rows or at least have the cut rows be even in size. It sounds like if your top row of tile is a full 12", you'd be left with a 7 1/2" row at the bottom. I'd try to avoid that because the visual weight of the larger rows of tile would accentuate the difference in size. If you're committed on the locations of niches and metal profiles already, my preference would be to go with even size rows of 9 3/4" at the very top and bottom. My second choice would be to put a 7 1/2" row at the top and have the rest of the rows be full 12" tiles.

We laid out several options on our floor before finalizing our tile pattern. By adjusting the location of our accent row, we were able to to go with full 12" rows below and one 10 1/2" row above.

Photobucket

o
RE: Top tile/Bottom tile size

treasuretheday:

Thanks for the advice. You've got a nice-looking shower. And, from the photo, I can't even tell that your top row is a different size than the others. Maybe because the accent tiles separate the top row from the rest.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here