Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kateskouros

new calacatta-look porcelain is in

kateskouros
14 years ago

and i think it will work out really well. at least i hope it will! i'm going to use it on the floor of a guest bedroom. they come in 12x12 tiles and i got them from our local best tile distributor. they are manufactured by a company named johnson and they are made in england.

i'm obviously not very good at arranging these things so hopefully the installer will be. 7-8 out of the dozen in the box have a lot of movement and cost was $3.89 sq. (i think they were on sale).

can you please give me an honest opinion on the look? to me they look pretty good, but i've not seen a lot of look-a-likes IRL. would you use inside a shower as well, or should i use white subways?

hand holding desperately wanted!

Comments (15)

• rookie_2010
    14 years ago

Wow,
    I would have never guessed it to be porcelain! It's beautiful! I'm sure your installer will have an idea of how to arrange it. Are you putting in on a diagonal or just like you have it arranged in the picture?

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ok, i feel better now ...thanks! it will go on a diagonal.

• janwad
    14 years ago

It's so hard to judge tile from pictures, but right off I'd say that stuff is FABULOUS.

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Can you get a macro closeup? And who is the manufacturer? It's really hard to judge from that distance.

• cordovamom
    14 years ago

Someone on "Bang for the Buck" used this product. Totally fooled the designer (David Bromstadt) who thought it was very expensive marble. If it can fool a designer close up, it must be fabulous in person!

• busybee3
    14 years ago

it's hard to say from pics. i looked at some porcelain calcatta last week---it was called evolution, i think. it looked pretty good...especially the honed!! the polished looked abit more "fake"...not nearly as dimensional as real marble. the pricing on that was more like 11 or 12$/sq foot tho... $3.89/ft is really cheap if you like the look!
    my opinion tho is you might want to go with subways or something different in the shower, just so it wouldn't so much of that look....especially if it's polished--- i'm basing that opinion on the evolution tiles i saw in person.

• sevrm
    14 years ago

I think you're smart to work out the arrangement on your own. My experience was that the experts don't necessarily spend as much time as you would to get the look that you want. Be involved and don't worry about being a nuisance. It's your bathroom and you'll probably be looking at it for a long time.

By the way, the tile is beautiful!

• pricklypearcactus
    14 years ago

While I agree that it can be difficult to tell from a picture, those tiles look beautiful to me. I think they would look lovely on the walls of a shower.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

I'd STRONGLY agree with Suellen about arranging the tiles yourself if you're willing. Some really good tile professionals would do it well, but lazy ones will just grab a tile from the box and go -- which could leave you with two identical tiles side by side.

Those look very realistic to me, but I'd still keep them on the floor as opposed putting them at to eye-level. They'll look much more realistic from a distance of 5' than 2". Also, showers fully tiled in a strongly-patterned marble can be a bit overwhelming.

• sevrm
    14 years ago

Also, if you're considering putting the tile on the wall, be sure to hold it up vertically to see what it looks like. I put the same tile on the floor and on the wall, and it looks a totally different color on the wall than on the floor. It's all in how the light hits it.

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sorry, i don't have a macro lens but i took one as close as i could get. the surface is honed (matte) not polished. i didn't clean it up too much (just a little brightness and recovery so it wouldn't look so "dirty".)
    i like how they added those white streaks going off in opposite directions, which i think does a good job of mimicking real marble.
    {{gwi:1428551}}

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Looks pretty good from here--and sorry I missed your saying who the manufacturer was in the original post. Sometimes you can see 'pixels', as my DD puts it, or the print is really sloppy looking--but this looks nice and nuanced.

• busybee3
    14 years ago

i think it looks pretty good too! the honed would look beautiful on the floor...and then maybe you could work out a design which uses plain subways and some calcatta(real or porcelain) for trim in the shower.

• clg7067
    14 years ago

I found some really nice marble-look tile at my tile store for about $2 a sq foot! You really couldn't tell the different. However, I'm going to have to change it because I'm going to coordinate with the kitchen.

• Newyorking
    14 years ago

Wow, I cannot tell the difference! I looked for porcelain that look like marble, and was never happy because it was never the real thing. Porcelanosa's $12 per sq. ft. tile came close. Anyway, I went for something else. But this tile --- you cannot tell the difference!!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH