Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best niche size to minimize ceramic cuts

Posted by OntarioMom (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 22:02

Hi all,

Well it happened again - needing to make a hasty decision. Our back framer was here today, and surprised us with needing to know our exact size and location of shower niche. We knew where we wanted it, but not the exact size. We quickly figured out what size we wanted based on how many shampoo bottles, etc we wanted to store. However, it wasn't until after he had left, that I realized that the exact size of the niche should have been considered in light of our tile size. We don't want extra cutting of tiles just to accommodate a niche that is slightly wider or narrower than a tile size. We are building a big addition, and have had other more urgent decisions to make, so tile choosing has not been done yet. Can you advise on the following:

a)If we choose a 12" wide tile size for example, should the width of the niche be in increments of 12" exactly (i.e. 12, 24, 36, etc)or do we have to make the niche box slightly larger than the tile width (if so how much wider).

b) In a tub shower/combo we have located the niche up high for shower use. Should we also consider a lower niche that can be reached when having a bath (showering will be more frequent than bathing).

Thanks for any opinions.

Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best niche size to minimize ceramic cuts

There is another recent thread re: niches wherein my DH wrote in detail about building our niches. He built ours, taking into acct our storage needs of bottles and soaps, and the shape/size of our tile. However, once our tile guys started installing our tile, DH did have to make some adjustments to the niches themselves to allow for full tiles as needed, etc.

o
RE: Best niche size to minimize ceramic cuts

Cat mom,

Thanks for responding. I found that other thread -- it was very helpful!!

BTW, I also posted a question to you about the Toto Soiree toilets on the recent sanigloss question still on page one. Any chance you could take a look and comment?

Thanks,

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here