Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
12" quartz backsplashes: just too much?

Posted by troff (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 21:21

Hi folks,

I have a nagging doubt about our use of quartz thruout the condo we're rebuilding.

The place is about 1700 square feet, two stories. Per the current plan, there will be the same quartz (Cambria Darlington) on all the countertops (kitchen perimeter, kitchen island with raised bar, half bath, main bath and ensuite, including tub deck). Just typing it out makes it sound like too much!

Our builder's design consultant thinks it will unify things, and generally I agree. We are planning to sell without moving back in, so we asked for features that would appeal to current buyers.

What's making me most uneasy is the use of 12" quartz backsplashes in all the bathrooms. Bath designer says it's better that way because we have wall-mounted faucets (Kohler Purist) and it creates a cleaner look. I worry about severe Darlington overload.

What do you guys think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 12" quartz backsplashes: just too much?

It does seem high, but then how high up on the wall are the faucets placed.

o

I'll have to check the plans for exact height. Our counters are high and we have a semi-vessel sink, so faucets must be high on the wall.

I know the designer wanted the backsplash to go all the way up to mirror frames, without leaving any painted wall in between. But would a full-tile backsplash be difficult to install there? Distracting? Will the quartz look overpowering? That's the dilemma.

This post was edited by troff on Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 0:15

o

I think that a Single material will be less distracting, than counter material/backsplash material/wall color below the mirror.

Counter and splash in one material up to the mirror is the more minimal way to go. The issue is if you think that the color and pattern of the quartz is too much in that amount? What are the rest of the bath finishes? If you are using all white fixtures another safe and unifying choice would be to use a pure white like Cambria White Cliff, for the bathrooms --if it works with the other bath finishes.

o

Thanks, Palimpsest. Yes, I am worried about the colour and pattern of too much Darlington. It's a pretty quiet quartz, but in quantity may read too greenish. That's my thought, anyway. We are talking about a kitchen island, three (smallish) bathrooms .... it all adds up alarmingly! (Not just in cost.)

I like white -- Cambria Torquay was an earlier choice and the bath finishes are white. But now I think pure white is too stark for the space. I mean, we could go that way, but it would start a chain reaction of change. (Currently, tub and shower tile is Crema Marfil; bathroom and shower floors Ceratec Sensation in Desert.)

Does anyone have experience in using so much of the same stone in one condo? Is it unifying or monotonous? Or as if we "got a great deal" on the quartz and just threw it in everywhere?

o

You've hired a professional and now you want to second-guess.

On the other hand, I second-guessed my lawyer, didn't follow through, and it turned out my instincts were much better than his.

Sorry I'm not much help with this one.

o

Do you have a mock-up/layout of your bathrooms? Does the 12" BS look proportionate to the vanities?

I'd be more concerned with using semi-vessel sinks on a high vanity. Have you seen these in person? I was originally going to do that until I saw them in two show-rooms, and realized that's way too high for a vessel or even semi-vessel. Especially if you have that in ALL 3 bathrooms. If this was for yourselves, that's one thing, but I'm not sure that would appeal to a large portion of the general public.

o

Normally I might think it is a bit much of the same but this is a lovely neutral that would be easy to work with in the future. I like the 12" idea too especially with the wall mounted faucets and vessel sinks. I would also not be opposed to the splash going all the way up but with the 12" if a future resident did decide to add some contrasting tile accent they could. I think you are on the right track and this would be appealing to me if I were looking at the place to live. It has the type of personal characteristics that could be made to go with either modern or traditional tastes. Good luck!

o

Thanks, gr8day.

Are those pics of Darlington that you posted, or another neutral stone? If it's Darlington, they do look reassuring ...

o

I think backsplashes to 12" will be fine, esp if it is what was posted above. But, I would not want side splashes to 12"...

Will you be sidesplash free? (please say yes)

o

Yes (she said confidently).

Oh no (she thought privately), better check with bath designer NOW.

o

haha!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here