Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherwhy_gw

Best shower grout?

sherwhy
14 years ago

We want the longest lasting, least cracking, least mildew , grout for our showers. We are using Daltile arctic white 3x6 inch subways on the walls and 1 inch white hex on the floor. We are considering Laticrete or Spectralock. Has anyone used these or do you recommend something else. Please share your experience.

Comments (13)

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Spectralock IS made by Laticrete. Let me ask you-- are you planning on using white grout?

• sherwhy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oops I meant Permacolor or Spectralock.

Yes we wanted to use white but are still considering a light gray. Is sanded better than unsanded?

• MongoCT
    14 years ago

White, yellow...it's all good!

• sherwhy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well no, I don't want yellow. That is not good!

Are you saying gray is better Monogoct?

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

If you're considering any of the chemical grouts, yes. That's why Mongo had the comment he did, and why I asked the question I did. Especially with the epoxy grouts, the epoxy matrix (which is an amber color) tends to give white grout at the very least, a yellow hue. This is industry wide-- not just Spectralock. Now, as for using the chemical grouts as opposed to a standard cement based grout, my own personal feeling is that unless you're having hard water problems, or something along those lines, it's a very high priced overkill (as in about 4 times the cost, just for cash and carry). Especially if you go with a grey grout, you won't notice any discoloration, even over time.

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

Bill, re: Permacolor grout, do you know if it is widely available and where I can view/obtain a color chart (I've done a number of searches online, and turning up nada). Thanks!

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

cat_mom-- Laticrete Permacolor is available in the very same colors as the 1500 and 1600 grouts. It will soon be replacing them, and should be available in the same showrooms. Unfortunately, I don't think Lowes will be seeing Permacolor for a while yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Laticrete Permacolor

• cindaloutx
    14 years ago

Bill, how does the spectralock fare with respect to mildew? I was guessing that something impermeable won't grow mold, but maybe I'm missing something? We are about to redo our shower and the price difference is nothing compared to the long term cost of bleaches and scrubbing...the grout color I have picked it on the yellow side so that's not a concern.

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Mildew isn't a problem at all-- either with Spectralock, OR with the Permacolor. The Spectralock is an epoxy, and the Permacolor as antimicrobial agents in it to block the growth of mold and mildew.

Besides, you don't want to be using bleach unless it's absolutely necessary (and with mold, it would be). For cleaning other than plain hot water (which should be enough most of the time) Oxyclean is a wonderful thing! It'll do just as good a job as bleach without harming the grout.

• Melissa Gandhi
    7 years ago

Hi Bill and MongoCT, as always your posts are very informative... i was wondering who is Laticrete SpectraLOCK Pro Premium performed in last few years (sine this post)? Does the "Bright White" still turn yellow? My client has clear glass Akdo Arctic White tiles, and wants go with low maintenance grout. Also, will the sand in SpectraLOCK scratch a glass tile in your experience? Thanks.

• cindy2459
    7 years ago

Will fusion pro scratch glass tile?

• PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    7 years ago

I have not had a problem with it...but you can always call tech support at Custom Building Products. Good people.