Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would beadboard wainscoting be appropriate...

Posted by semi (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 30, 10 at 20:26

Would beadboard wainscoting be appropriate in a 1920s-era bathroom?

I am renovating a 1920 bathroom that presently has beautiful black and white basketweave floors and white subway tiles up to about 4 1/2 feet up the walls. I was thinking of just replicating this look in the new bathroom, but I really like the look of wainscoting. Would this be appropriate with a basketweave (porcelain, not marble) tile floor?

I posted some pictures previously of the subway tiles. They crackled with age and got a bit mottled with moisture. I love the look but thought perhaps I could save some money on tile and labor by installing wainscoting.

Your thoughts?

Many thanks.

I am so excited that the 15 months of planing the renovation are over and now it is time to make design decisions!

Thanks.

Semi: Reggie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would beadboard wainscoting be appropriate...

Hi Semi,
I'm also putting up white beaded board wainscoting in my master bath for the same reasons you're considering it. From what you described, it sounds totally appropriate!
Our carpenter is using Azec beaded board, popular for exterior trim applications. It's water and mold proof. If you check out the below link and play the video, the first thing it shows (for about 5 seconds) is a bathroom with white and black basket weave floors and white beaded board wainscoting!
http://www.azek.com/azek-beadboard/

o

Many thanks! The Azek was exactly what I was thinking of using.

I love moving forward on this project, so I appreciate your feedback.

Semi:

o

Ahhh, thanks for bringing this material to a thread. I love the beadboard look, and plan to install it in my clawfoot tub alcove and on the ceiling as well. The rest of the bath will have wainscoting of the beadboard.

o

Could you please tell me what is "wainscoting of the beadboard"?

o

Hi njkat,
I think the poster meant, "wainscoting in beadboard."
Like the chair rail height paneling here:
Amoroso Design contemporary bathroom

o

One of our new manufacturers has waterproof wainscoting. Their ad is on the left side of our homepage. It says Luis Lynzie and it looks like they're offering a 25% discount.

Here is a link that might be useful: wainscoting

o
bead boards

I really like the beadboard. Thanks for bringing the link to waterproof wainscoting.

You can buy a sheet of plywood which is grooved to look like beadboard, and that would be 48 inches high if not shortened. It is not as fine as using the separate bead boards which require separate installation of each board. The first is more economical, the second a more time consuming but prettier installation.

Sorry my first post was confusing. I meant I would use wainscoting, and I would choose beadboard AS my wainscoting material. We used the plywood panels made to look like beadboard in our tiny little bath. It looks okay, but in our master bath, I want the ceiling real beaded boards, and also the tub alcove real beaded boards. At this time, I am thinking beaded boards floor to ceiling in this alcove, not wainscoting. The wainscoting would be in the lav/toilet portion of the bath. The real wood will be more expensive but absolutely great IMO.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here