Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
? About granite shelves in niches?

Posted by raehelen (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 20:15

Still not sure exactly how big niches will be, can't be very wide as they have to go on short 3' wall along with shower heads and valves. So probably under 12" wide, though may be able to make them tall enough to have 2 shelves.

Am thinking we will line them either with same limestone looking porcelain tiles as walls (or real limestone 'crazy paving' mosaic if my tile guy can source it), but want to make the actual shelves out of my granite. What did you guys do when your granite is 3cm thick, seems like a very thick shelf!

And, then, if you use 3cm thick granite, how do you support a second shelf? Is just the edge of the tile and the mortar enough to hold it in place?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ? About granite shelves in niches?

Our niches have 2cm granite shelves and the top shelf is supported by the tile below. Our fabricator was able to cut the slab down to this thickness.

Remember to pitch them slightly outward for drainage.

photo Picture271.jpg

o

You can also buy quite thin granite tiles (1cm I think) and have your tile guy cut them into whatever shape you need and use them for shelves.

o

In my master, the granite was 3cm and I opted for very similar looking marble pieces for the base, 3/8 glass for the shelves. In my other bath, I used caesarstone. Yes 3cm is too thick for a shelf, even a base in my opinion. Depending on the granite, they can cut it down. they could not in my case, too many fissures.

o

Here's the other bath.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here