Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any ideas for a vanity top?

Posted by susieliz (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 19:55

I'm not sure what material to use for the vanity top in our master bathroom. It's a 1938 house and we're doing a hex tile floor and subway walls and shower. The color of tile is Dal Tile biscuit (cream color). We only have 46 inches for the vanity, our GC will build it.

I looked into getting stone but the only stone I could buy without buying the whole piece is marble. They'll cut a piece in half which would be about 500 dollars. This seems expensive. I looked into marble or granite tiles and they were almost as expensive. Am I just being cheap?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any ideas for a vanity top?

Check out the new Formica colors. Some are beautiful and very practical for a bathroom. I think that is tons of $$ for a top.

o

Where have you looked for stones? Have you checked with granite/marble fabricators in your area? Most have remnants that might fit your top. Should be less than $500, though prices really seem to vary by region.

You might also check Craigslist.

o

It seems that 49" is a standard size for vanity tops. Have you already confirmed that you can't use a standard size -- if not that one then the next size down, 36"?
You can get ready made stone ones in this size, with built-in sinks if you like, on ebay and in other places.

Also, here's an auction where they want to get rid of a top and will cut it down for you.

Where there's a will there's a way! If you really want stone you can get it for less.

Kashmi mentioned checking on fabricators in your area. I found one fairly close to me who makes lots of vanities and can do it for far less using popular stones that they stock -- you don't pick your slab. If you can use standard cuts for length and number of holes you get an even better price.

I had formica in my last house, and amazingly enough I never ruined it with cleaning products or nail polish. I was always afraid that I would hurt it, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay -- will cut down to your size

o

I was also discouraged by the $500+ for granite vanity tops. So, I'm going with a custom cultured marble. They come in a lot of different sink styles now, a few solid colors, and a lot of imitation granite and onyx colors.

I just had a handyman install my custom cultured marble shower and I love it. It is substantial and smooth and clean and shiny (I got gloss white).

A local company manufactured mine, and I visited the factory showroom before deciding. It had to be ordered from an intermediary, like Lowes.

o

Another vote for cultured marble.

o

You can get the look of stone by using stone tile. Set the tile on the diagonal so seams will show less and lay it with vey tight joints so almost no grout shows. It will look good but cost lots less.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here