Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small mosaic tiles in shower -- is all that grout a pain?

Posted by kaysd (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 10, 12 at 19:47

Our new walk-in shower is going into an existing niche that currently holds a tub/shower combo. The niche is about 59" wide and 41-42" deep. (The rest of the bathroom is 6' wide.) It will be a steam shower, so glass wall and door will go all the way up and the ceiling will be tiled.

I am going for a modern look. I originally wanted to use large format porcelain or glass tiles, both for the look, and to minimize grout that needs to be cleaned. However, the 41-42" side walls make the use of large format tiles difficult (I have yet to find 21" tiles) because of the cut edges. The other look I really like is small random brick or "stick" mosaics. (i.e., 1"x3", 2"x6" or similar size.) The smaller tiles would be easier to fit nicely on the small walls, but I worry it will be a nightmare to keep all those grout lines clean.

If anyone has used small tiles on your shower walls, I would love to hear about your experiences with maintenance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small mosaic tiles in shower -- is all that grout a pain?

I told my tile guy I wanted to be able to use chemicals in the shower so I used ceramic tile (instead of natural stone) and he used epoxy grout. It's been a dream to keep clean so far. I get that pinkish mold...spray it with some clorox and water, let it sit for a couple minutes and rinse..good as new.

o

Thanks, Olychick. We definitely won't use natural stone because we don't want porous material in a steam shower. We will use either glass or through-body porcelain. I wonder if we can use epoxy grout and bleach on glass tile.

o

Why do you need 21" tile? You can just have the 24" tile cut down to the proper size. And, they will probably end up being cut smaller than 21" because you have to account for the thinset, overlap, wavy walls, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here