Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ahmnj

Thoughts about BR Layout - 1979 Contemporary

Aletia Morgan
9 years ago

Nearly a year ago, I posted some floor plan ideas for this project that included bumping out the corner adjacent to the sitting room, to allow space for the shower and other fixtures. We thought we had things figured out, but went through three contractors that took a look at and quote on the project. One of them said they wouldn't put in a shower w/o a pre-formed pan, and our space doesn't lend itself to that, but the two others gave us an initial budget estimate and then seemingly disappeared - we couldn't get them to respond to finalizing the plan. Weird.

As it turns out, Hurricane Sandy has apparently left NJ contractors with enough to keep them busy. Ugh. Anyway, the delay (and a quote from a new contractor that's really high) has prompted us to re-think the plan a bit.

The original thread is at:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg0514490931186.html.

So recently, it occurred to me that we could made the addition less cramped (and leave the existing sitting room more alone) by moving the WC back to the "old" side of the bathroom. This apparently would also save some $$.

So we've played with a couple of newer versions - getting rid of the "wet room" concept, and switching to a stand-alone tub to avoid the cost of a tile enclosure, and shifting the WC back into the original footprint - basically where the vanity is now. The major difference between these two drawings is the orientation of the WC.
1)
{{gwi:1426524}}From MBR

2)
{{gwi:1426528}}From MBR

But I still wonder if an angled wall in a bathroom makes sense at all - so I again tried to straighten the wall into the bathroom - but with the WC moved back into the original footprint, to try to give more space to the bathroom without impinging (too much) on the existing sitting room.

We're really struggling with this - I'd really appreciate thoughts & ideas! Would having the WC at a distance from the rest of the bathroom be a problem?

And last thing - is a stand-alone tub really less expensive overall? No building/tiling of a frame for a drop-in tub, but then the tub itself is more expensive. So is there any financial reason to choose one over the other, vs. design?

Thanks so much!

This post was edited by AHMIowa_NJ on Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 7:55

Comment (1)