Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob_cville

Remodeling Duplex

bob_cville
11 years ago

We recently purchased an older duplex that has been rented out for some time. The resident of one half moved out and we were starting the process of fixing it up to rent again, and decided to remove the ugly sheet flooring and replace it with something new.

Upon pulling it up we discovered massive water damage to the floor and sub-floor and consequently needed to remove the cabinets to be able to access all of the damaged sub-floor, and the leaking drain pipe in the wall.

We also then found the tub had been leaking damaging the drywall, the floor and sub-floor, and many of the wall studs. Yay.

I've removed the sink and the tub and (soon) the toilet as well as most of the drywall, floor and sub-floor, and now need to decide the design for putting it all back.

Its small 5'2"x 8'5" so theres not much that can be done.

The easiest answer would be to put it all back the way it was:

but with the toilet being the first thing you see on the way in, it might not look so great.

An alternative that I have thought of is:

which might look better, but then there would be a window in the shower, and given my experience with water damage, this gives me pause. It would also require relocating the shower drain and the toilet drain. Maybe the potential better look isn't worth the extra effort.

Comments (6)