Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelleg69

Wood floors in bathroom?

kelleg69
16 years ago

I love wood floors. I have wood in my current powder room and plan on doing it again. Does anyone have wood in a master bath? I saw a friend's bath today with wood floors and LOVE it! I must confess that I am not a huge tile person...

I know wood and water don't mix, but she hasn't had any trouble so far (2 years) and her kids shower and bathe in there.

Thoughts?

Comments (11)

• MongoCT
    16 years ago

I've had brazilian cherry in my own master bath and in a downstairs powder room for 10+ years.

No problems.

I've installed it in many master baths as well and never had a complaint.

I wouldn't recommend it in a kids' bathroom.

Mongo

• cynking
    16 years ago

I want to do wood floors in our planned master bath, mostly due to the subfloor bounce, but I think ultimately it would hurt the resale value.

• jejvtr
    16 years ago

Mongo - you didn't post a pic of that beautiful bath ....once you see Mongo's pics you will be sold!

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Thanks for this post!

I had forgotten about Mongo's bathroom. I know I've seen it before, but I too would love to see it again- (And this time I'll save the pic in my files!)

I just finished saying to my DH maybe we'll just do a really good quality vinyl flooring cuz he's worried about the subfloor issue- we have ship lap. And we believe we need to put 2 X 3/4" layers on top of that and then the underfloor heating and then the tile, our floors would be so much higher than our wood floors in the bedroom. But, I could just continue the Tigerwood- I think we're going to have lots extra anyways...

Ummm, something else to ponder... :>)

• MongoCT
    16 years ago

You folks are too kind.

Here's the pic of the bath with the brazilian cherry, it's a little on the dark side but you can get the idea:

• jejvtr
    16 years ago

Drool

• MongoCT
    16 years ago

Just as long as you get it in the sink. Or the tub. Or the shower. ;^)

Hey, how did your flood repairs go? I saw some of your tile photos, they looked terrific. Is everything else all done and are you back to free and easy living?

• raehelen
    15 years ago

OK,

I mentioned this post to DH, and he 'indelicately' or delicately brought up an indelicate point, about 'drips' around the toilet. Growing up in an all girl family, I forget about things like this. Is it an issue?

Secondly, as I was washing out my handwashables and hanging them up to dry on the towel rack, I thought about those drips too... darn, just when I'd thought I had this thing figured out...

Mongo, that BR is just beautiful!

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My DH brought up the same issue with the drips. Still we are definitely using wood in the powder room. That is what we have now and I love it.

Mongo, that looks beautiful. I think I decided no on the wood in the master bath b/c I remembered we are carpeting our bedroom. So, I wouldn't be continuing the flooring. If the bedroom were wood, I think I would really push the issue. Wood is much warmer looking than tile to me.

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

Wood really doesn't have to be less water-friendly than tile if you finish it correctly for the bath. And the HUGE advantage: no curly cold toes in the early morning!

My 90-year-old fir bathroom floor has 2 coats of Waterlox (a soaking tung-oil mixture) and then 3 coats of Fabulon oil-based polyurethane. Looks gorgeous and I ran a water bead test on a board first - after 2 days the water drops were still sitting there, happily evaporating but not sinking into the wood. The same holds, I presume, for any other aqueous substances. :)

• MongoCT
    15 years ago

All you ladies need to do is convince your husbands that real men sit when they pee.

Either that, or every Saturday morning hand them some cleaning supplies and tell them to clean up their mess. Which, hopefully, would get cleaned up regardless of the floor material.

Mongo