Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluekitobsessed

Show me appliance garages or other electric toothbrush hiders!

bluekitobsessed
15 years ago

Does anyone have any clever ideas for hiding the electric toothbrush? Something akin to a kitchen appliance garage? Show me pix!

Comments (13)

• MariposaTraicionera
    15 years ago

Good idea. I've been wondering the same myself.

• pepperidge_farm
    15 years ago

I put ours inside the medicine cabinet. With this latest reno, I put an outlet inside each cabinet so it could charge there as well. I am so thrilled with this set-up! DH has the same in his side.

{{gwi:1422120}}

• boymom
    15 years ago

We did an integrated medicine cabinet as part of our vanity- cabinet with shelves column on either side of the two sinks. On the lowest shelf there's an outlet. It's almost done. Will take pics as soon as possible.

• jjaazzy
    15 years ago

Peppridge is that a recessed medicine cabinet? How did you run the wires?

• MariposaTraicionera
    15 years ago

That's a neat setup but alas, we cannot put in a medicine cabinet that's recessed. Something about plumbing lines behind. I had checked it out.

I wonder if it would be terribly inconvenient to have an outlet in the vanity (bottom cabinet)?

• pepperidge_farm
    15 years ago

Yes- the cabinet is recessed. The stud that framed the cabinet in the wall on the side was cut out for the electrical box to fit into- so instead of the outlet facing into the room, it faced into the cabinet. I don't have interim pics of that. I hope that makes sense. The wall was put there by us in the reno, it has electrical because the vanity lights are there too, as well as outlets on the backsplash.

We had the AC vent going down the wall where one of the cabinet's was meant to go... DH said, "oh well, can't recess it," I said, "that's OK, we can just bump out behind the bathroom wall in the bedroom and run the vent there :-))) We also had to carefully plan the drain vent stack in that wall.

Some of the plans I made that created extra work he had to make happen, some I did, so it all worked out.

• toadangel
    15 years ago

i don't have a novel solution to storing the toothbrushes, but i did put an outlet in a linen tower, and i imagine you could probably do that in a surface-mounted med cab. i bought a special outlet that used a regular outlet box mounted in the drywall but recessed the actual plugs so the outlet cover was flush with the cabinet. hard to explain in words... if you're interetsed i could try to find a link to the product. i got it at lowes

• pepperidge_farm
    15 years ago

I don't see why you couldn't put the outlet on the "back wall" of the medicine cabinet, if it is not recessed, if you wanted to try to get one inside.

My inspiration (I though I was original 3 years ago before I found out some were made that way) was that old medicine cabinets (a la 1950's) have outlets on the outer side of the medicine cabinet!!! I just wanted to flip it to the inside!

• jjaazzy
    15 years ago

Toadangel I would like to see the product your speaking of. I posted about this very issue but didn't get any good hits. We can't cut the stud to ours becuase it is metal and it would create another can of worms but I do have room across the back my cabinet. The cabinet is recessed 4" and I have a 6" wall so I wonder if I could get this to work. If I needed a little more room I could tile that wall and gain another 1/2" or so.

• toadangel
    15 years ago

found it, i think (i'm at work) -- there is an instruction sheet on the leviton site but not sure how to link to it...

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibcGetAttachment.jsp?cItemId=qsKR2qXYzKRb2geeAnK4fw&label=IBE&appName=IBE

Here is a link that might be useful: leviton 689 on amazon

• boymom
    14 years ago

Here's a photo of what we're doing. Photos are from my iphone, so please ignore the color. We are still sans knobs and mirror and desperately in need of paint touch ups.

{{gwi:1425777}}

• alterit
    14 years ago

I have outlets in my vanity Drawers..I use it for hair dryer but they are deep enough for toothbrush

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations