Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angela12345_gw

What on earth would you do with this bath layout ?

angela12345
10 years ago

See below for the space we have to work with.

Already have: 63" round tub

Need:
Master Closet, would love walk-in but ok if not
Linen Closet/Storage
Separate toilet compartment
Vanity with 2 sinks & drawers in between
Separate shower

Help !! What ideas do you have on how to use this space best ?

Comments (13)

• enduring
    10 years ago

Is this a new build? I can't imagine a walk in closet, in this room, at all. That bay window takes up a lot of room that doesn't seem conducive to space for vanities. Is that tub going to be built in a counter top? Then maybe the space below the windows could be drawers for storage. I don't see a spot for the separate toilet room either. But maybe others will have better ideas.

What I like to do with my personal plans is draw them in a computer program. Or, draw the walls exactly, on graph paper, then draw up my elements to scale - like vanity, shower area, toilet, etc. I then cut them out and arrange them on the plan, seeing the distances between the elements to be sure they meet recommended tolerances. Then I take pictures of my different plans and look at them over and over again. Sometimes I get inspired, sometimes I had it right with the first rendition.

Here are my examples

• Peke
    10 years ago

Can water lines go anywhere? You could put one sink vanity on the wall that shows 68" and the other one directly opposite that wall.

Like Enduring said, continue the counter under the windows to the tub (storage) then the other side of the tub. Not sure how low windows go to the floor.

As you walk in to the bathroom, put the toilet in that corner in its own closet. You might have to move the door to the left. The shower could be next to the toilet due to water lines. The rest of the corner could be closet which isn't much... maybe 6'x6' in a U shape. On the back wall between the vanity and closet you could have built in cabinets. You could forgo the walk in closet and continue the clothes cabinets around to the wall of the shower. You would have a lot of walking area. A closet for clothes and toilet is going to make the bathroom look very small along with the shower. You could also put the clothes cabinets in the bedroom.

Three things waste a lot of space. The bay, the round tub, and the walk in closet.

Good luck with what you decide. Hopefully someone else will have some ideas. Peke

• angela12345
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nope, this is an existing space in an existing home. My friend asked for my help laying out her new bathroom. I told her I would give her some ideas and also post on GW ... the folks here can always come up with some great ideas ! She definitely has a difficult room.

This space was originally the master bedroom, but will now be the master bath & closet. She converted the upper part of a 2-story living room into the new master bedroom. The original master had only a 3 foot closet. Yes, three foot !!!!!

She already has the tub. I think it is stand alone, not a built in. But, I feel sure she would be open to the idea of building it in if that made the plan work. Here is about what it looks like.

The windows go down to about 23-24" from the floor. I believe the tub is also 23" tall. Yes, water lines can go anywhere.

I have given her 4 layout ideas so far. The best one that I have come up with so far requires moving the door that was *just* put in a few months ago when they did the new bedroom. : \

Very similar to Peke's idea ...

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Toilet door needs to flip OUT or be some sort of other door, for safety... That makes that layout good, but not really great.

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

I had a post with a few different versions but it got dumped when uploading. I drew this before you had yours up.

Similar to your plan, but I kept my shower centered. The alternative drawings which disappeared had the shower pulled into the room (to the left) with the closet being extended between the shower and the wall on the right.

Another plan had two single vanities, one to the left of the entry door, the other on the opposite wall, with the shower and water closet in the top right corner.

If they can move the bathroom entry door to the left, it will open up more wall space on the immediate right when you enter the bathroom.

• angela12345
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Awwwww phooey ! Disappeared and cannot be recovered ? I am having a hard time figuring out the layout of the other options from your description. I like your idea above. I hadn't thought of having the shower stick out more than the wall beside it. Frees you up to have a longer shower. Nice.

Good point Kirk, thanks !

edit: "longer" shower

This post was edited by angela12345 on Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 1:59

• chicagoans
    10 years ago

I like the way mongo has the counters in his rendition. I tried playing around with all the elements and couldn't get a good layout that made the tub feel like it fit - his layout accomplishes that. And enduring your idea of having a window seat with linen storage is great.

The space under the skinny part of the counters on the angles could be open shelves for towels, and under the straight part next to the tub could have shallow cabinets to hide plumbing.

• angela12345
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Keep in mind the space under the windows is only 23-24" high. So it would not be continuous height counters all the way around. Unless they were to be in front of the windows ?

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

Here are a few other options. They're not great "as is" drawings, they're just to show how things might be able to be shifted and how space might be able to be utilized.

We all place different levels of importance on certain bathroom features; toilet space, shower size, separate sinks, etc, so look at these you might be able to nip and tuck a usable design into the space.

The first one moves the toilet to the immediate right of the entry door, and because of the depth of that space, it's an open toilet alcove. No door to close it off for it to be a true "water closet." The first sink is to the immediate left as you enter, and the other sink on the opposite wall. A basic shower is next to the toilet. A larger closet in the back right corner.

Drawing #2: The existing bedroom-to-bathroom door sort of chokes down the path through the bathroom. So this this next one moves the bathroom entry door to the left. This gives enough depth for a true 60" water closet to the immediate right as you enter the bathroom. It also gives space for a larger shower and for a larger closet. The shower could be made a narrower and the closet wider.

The last one tweaks the space just a little bit more to expand the depth of the shower, with the added depth the shower could be doorless for example. It also affords and even larger corner closet.

#3:

So just a few ideas.

Moving the bathroom door to the left may sound daunting, but it does enhance the layout, especially if the owner wants a closed off water closet. FYI, water closet code minimum dimensions are 30" wide by 60" deep.

Hope these help! Good luck.

• enduring
    10 years ago

I really like these options Mongoct, I think overall I like #2 because of the wider aisle between the tub and the shower. But the geometry of #3 is really nice.

• angela12345
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oooooooh, these are looking VERY good !!

• loves2read
    9 years ago

MONGOCT--what type of software are you using for those drawings?

• angela12345
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Loves2read, it looks like mongo is taking the posted picture and drawing them in by hand in Paint or something like that.

I used 3D Home Architect Deluxe v.2 which is a VERY early version produced by Chief Architect for Broderbund. We bought it in 1998, haha ! Sometimes you can find these disks super cheap. I got v.4 in just the jewel case from Walmart at one point years ago for less than $10. (although I have lost that disk somehow, maybe loaned to a friend and not returned?). Version 4 was the last one produced by Chief Architect. I do NOT recommend v.5 or any subsequent versions. They are a completely different software not produced by Chief Architect. The early versions 2 thru 4 will not run in Windows 8. They will run in XP. They will also run in Windows 7 when running it in XP mode.

I do also have the full Chief program, v.9 I think. But honestly, when I want to quick draw something, I turn on 3D Home Architect Deluxe. So easy to use, and I can literally do almost everything that I need to do in it. The current versions of their consumer software Home Designer sells for $60-500. The current versions of Chief sell for $2000-2700.

Mongo, they ended up going with your #3 with a few tweaks. They are in the process of the remodel now, almost done. They ended up returning the round tub for a standard shaped oversized soaking tub. The round was just too big and was going to take a million gallons of water to fill, LOL.