Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tile Pro's 6x24 Porcelain an Issue??

Posted by ms222 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 9, 12 at 17:45

Reading up a little bit from 2010 posts stating that anything less than a 3/16" grout joint may be an issue for 6x24 tiles.

I fell in love today with 6"x24" chalk white porcelain from Happy Floors- NeosTile line. I will be using it in my bathroom, where the floors are 5 feet wide by 11 feet deep.

Chalk White Tile

Is the install for this really that difficult for a tile installer due to warpage and lippage? Can I do a 33% overlap and be fine? Should I be concerned, and how what color grout would you recommend?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tile Pro's 6x24 Porcelain an Issue??

Place two of the tiles face-to-face and see how bowed they are...how much they "rock." Some are pretty bad, others not so. If bad, at least a 1/3 overlap is needed...meybe even a 25% deal. Your floor needs to be quite flat for a successful install. If lippage is minimal, I've even butted them together, but an eighth looks good. If they are quite warped, you'll need a larger joint. The colour should be very close to that of the tile, IMHO.

o

And the floor needs to be STIFF for large format tile. If the bath is on a crawlspace, you need to investigate the joist size and placing in order to calculate how stiff the current floor is and whether or not it needs beefing up before any tile is laid. There's no point in having it all crack a month from installation.

o

Thanks, I dont know how stiff the floor is, however apparently he is "gutting" the bathroom so i would assume the tile installer can see if anything needs to be placed to make it more stiff. If I'm paying a tile guy to install it, then I would assume he should be able to do a 6"x24" tile without messing it up. That is what I'm paying for after all.

o

Don't assume anything. There is a world of difference in a "tile guy" and a professional tile installer. If he hasn't brought up the grout size and floor stiffness issues himself, I'd bet he's more of a "tile guy" than a true pro. Be proactive and find out this information yourself. You simply cannot depend on anyone to care about your job the way that you care.

o

That is correct, however the contractor I am using has been in the business for over 30 years and I know him personally, he wouldn't be bringing in anyone less than a true experienced tile installer.

o

That is correct, however the contractor I am using has been in the business for over 30 years and I know him personally, he wouldn't be bringing in anyone less than a true experienced tile installer.

I'm sorry but those sound like the famous last words of many an unhappy poster on another tile site.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here