Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhbaskets_gw

Need mirror suggestions

nhbaskets
9 years ago

In our new build house we will have a full bath on the second floor. DS will use this for now, but eventually (will he ever move out?) it will be the guest bathroom. Looking for suggestions on what to do for a mirror.

This is the vanity, which is a darker stained cherry with brown tan granite.

Can't tell it from the photo, but the walls are BM camouflage.

Vanity light.

I would normally do a framed mirror in the same wood as the vanity, however, cannot get the stock quick enough for what we need. Was thinking about having just a mirror cut to the proper size and then frame with the vanity stock when available.

Any other creative ideas?

Comments (15)

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

I'd probably go for something like in the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirror

• nhbaskets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hadn't thought of that. Great idea! Any other suggestions?

• Bunny
    9 years ago

nhbaskets, I'm looking for a larger mirror, about 48x30 to go over my 57" vanity. I can get a frame made in a wood that's very close in color to my vanity, not the same, but looks fine. Then I'll have a local glass place put a beveled mirror in the frame. I figure it will cost me about $300, which is what I budgeted. I'd love to find an already framed mirror but it's hard to find the exact size I want and it's within my power to have it custom made for not that much $$$.

There's also mirrormates.com that lets you add a frame to an already existing mirror. Don't know if that's your situation.

My bedroom is BM Camouflage. Such a nice color. It is way different from your photo but such a chameleon color, it's hard to capture. It looks great with your vanity stain.

What is your light fixture? Light and mirror are really the last of my big decisions and I need to pull the trigger on both of them. Oh, and knobs and/or pulls, but I have a fall-back for that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirror Mates

• nhbaskets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi linelle. Thanks for the info on MirrorMate. Wasn't aware if them and it would be a good workaround. The light is a Feiss Bentley.

This is only one of three baths in our new house. Too many decisions!

Here is a link that might be useful: Feiss light

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

I have the Pottery Barn pivot mirrors in DD's bath. Mine are oval but another poster had a horizontal rectangular one that was very nice and might give you more mirror space, if it's not too large for your vanity.

• fnmroberts
    9 years ago

It appears that our hallway (guest) bathroom has a similar configuration with a smaller vanity. We installed a 24 x 30 medicine cabinet. Inside we keep things visitors might have forgotten like new toothbrushes/toothpaste, various soap/shampoos and items to make them comfortable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Guest Bathroom

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

We have two small bathrooms one that looks somewhat similar to size to yours. In that one, we put two side sconce lights and a somewhat decorative mirror (its got an etched silvery edge, which goes with the tile in the shower). In the other, we opted for a full-size (plate) mirror with the two lights coming through the mirror, above the two sinks (we were too close to the wall to fit a side sconce to the left of the sink near the wall). I'm very pleased how both turned out.

• lotteryticket
    9 years ago

Restoration hardware has a few that might work. Looks like many are on sale and come in a wide range of sizes.

Here is a link that might be useful: RH Mirrors

• badgergal
    9 years ago

My neighbor bought this mirror at Crate and Barrel for her bathroom. She has it with a dark stained vanity and a light fixture similar to yours. It looks great. It is not as dark as it looks in this picture. It measures 29x47 and is currently on sale for $279.95

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirror

• raehelen
    9 years ago

fmroberts,

LOVE your mirrored MC! I have almost the exact same size framed out for a MC in our Master bath. I am having trouble deciding between making a cabinet with two doors or one like you have. I am worried that a 25-26" wide door would be too awkward to swing open. How do you find it? Though if this is a guest bath, you may not open that door very often. IN case it matters, I plan on making it semi-recessed, so it will stick out ~ 3inches, so adding more depth to how far it swings out over the vanity.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

badgergal, whoa! That is a beautiful mirror. I have looked high and low for a mirror approx. 48 x 30. I had thought a mid-stained wood to sorta match my vanity, but all the wood frames I've seen look heavy. I was going to order a frame and have a local glass place put a mirror in it.

I hadn't considered anything besides a stained frame, but am really intrigued by this one at C&B. The vanity is alder but everything else is gray/white/cream walls. I think this would be nice in the mix and the price is right.

Overall, how do you think it would work with carrara counter, mid-stained vanity and white subways? I am fairly conservative when it comes to mixing colors and finishes, but wouldn't mind a little something unexpected.

• fnmroberts
    9 years ago

raehelen - when the medicine cabinet is opened fully, the door does not quite reach the doorway trim so it isn't a problem in our application. And the MC is flush with the wall - only the door itself on the wall surface.

• raehelen
    9 years ago

Thanks for your quick response fmroberts. I was thinking of the swing as you are standing in front of the mirror, ie is it awkward while standing there, do you have to sort of swing the top of your body out of the way? I keep meaning to mock it up with a cardboard box, but of course have not...yet...

Am in the middle of looking for my metal plant markers...found the labeller...so of course I'm on GW...slightly distractable...LOL

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Linelle,
    I think the mirror would look fine with your other finishes. My neighbor has gray walls in her bathroom. I believe her countertop is Kashmir White. Her vanity is a mid to dark brown oak. She has a white tile floor and white tub surround. The mirror looks very nice with her finishes. I think it would look nice with yours too..
    If you have a Crate and Barrel near you, you can look on line to see if the mirror is in stock at that store. I believe there is no shipping charged if you order one and pick it up at the store.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

badgergal, hah! I got to the point where I was to enter my cc: number, and made myself stop. I decided I really need to see it in person, because I figure it will either be perfect, or not. The closest C&B is about 45 miles away, so the drive to pick up wouldn't save me too much. I hate these end-game indecisions.