Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Show me your bathroom door saddles

Posted by mearph (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 17:08

This might be silly but I don't know whether I should do a marble or oak door saddle for my bathroom. The hall is oak and the bathroom floor will be slate-look dark gray tile. Should I do marble because its traditional? My vanity top will be marble or should I do oak to match the floor? The doors and trim are all painted white. I guess my worry is the marble will be too much of a contrast with the slate. But the problem is nobody ever shows the door saddle in their finished bathroom photos! I'd love to see some options. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Show me your bathroom door saddles

do you mean the door threshold?
I used the same granite I used on my vanity top. in my hall I have old carpet that I need to replace. I agree that marble might be too much of a contrast in your situation and I would probably use oak.

o

I guess I don't have a picture showing my threshold either but I also used the same granite as my vanities, tub surround and shower door threshold. This photo taken from the doorway will give you an idea of the look.

photo Picture244.jpg

I agree that in your case, matching the marble from your counter might look too stark against your slate floor so I'd probably go with a wood threshold that would match the oak floors outside the bathroom.

o

I used black Corian. I have Brazilian cherry hardwood in the bedroom and Seneca handmold in deep sea blue in the bathroom. I didn't want something that would detract from either material, and I think it sets off both beautifully.

o

I went with marble where it coordinated with the floor tile...wood where it didn't.

o

In our bath, we went with a strip of the accent tile from the shower--this was something our builder was doing in his spec houses and we really liked it. This was great because I never really liked the marble thresholds to begin with--they never look right to me, they stick up too high posing a trip hazard and they are so cold. Raised transitions also tend to collect dirt along the edge that can be difficult to remove/sweep out.

We used the accent tile transition technique at the doorways between the bedroom and the bath and the closet and the bath. Note that our transition was from carpet to tile in both. In our laundry, we did a very thin metal transition strip. Both transition options allowed us to keep the floor height at the transitions as level as possible reducing trip hazards and making the house more handicap accessible should the need ever arise.

Here's a pic:
TileFloorTransition001 photo TileFloorTransition001-1.jpg

o

I have black slate and chose a black marble pre made threshold I got at The Tile Shop. Here it is shortly after grouting the floor but before it was caulked at the junction with the tile.

photo IMG_2793.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here