Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_smallhome

Buying Sink/Toilet Online

organic_smallhome
16 years ago

Is this a bad idea? I was thinking of ordering from Signature Hardware.

Comments (18)

• topremodeler
    16 years ago

You might want to pick this site

www.allnewbath.com

Here is a link that might be useful: online buying resource

• kgwlisa
    16 years ago

Oh spammer. Joy.

Anyway I ordered all of my bath stuff online, including the toilet and sinks. Everything came in just fine. Just make sure you understand shipping/receiving instructions and follow them. I didn't on my toilet, it came a few days after my grandma passed away and the last thing I wanted to do was inspect a toilet so I just put it in my garage until it was time to install it. It was a toto and INCREDIBLY well packed.

But I ordered faucets, sinks, vanity, medicine cabinet, toilet, light fixtures etc and had no problems (all from various vendors). I'm planning to order my shower curtain rod from signature hardware ;).

• codnuggets
    16 years ago

I purchased a sink and toilet from Absolute Home. Everything arrived well packaged and undamaged. Just make sure you are informed on the damage/return policy for your retailer in case something does happen.

Joe

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks very much for the responses.

Lisa: Signature Hardware is the place I had in mind. :) I'm going to order a curved curtain rod from them, as well!

Joe: Thanks--I'll check out that site. :)

• topremodeler
    16 years ago

Signature hardware cost too much. It is way over priced.

there are places you can get good priced items.

Here is a link that might be useful: online shoppping

• kgwlisa
    16 years ago

Wow, this guy doesn't even remember that he spammed a thread already. Anyone have any idea how to report him? He's getting on my nerves.

• cade
    16 years ago

Organic, I just bought my freestanding tub from Signature. It was shipped quickly and very well packed. They have a catalog they send out that sometimes gives free shipping or 10% off. I got the 10% off because there was already free shipping on the tub. So I'm pleased.

• bradleyj
    16 years ago

I bought nearly everything for my bath online -- sink and faucet from Homeclick, shower fixtures (Jaclo) from Chicago Faucets Shoppe, tile from Mosaic Tiles Supplies, and Duravit toilet/ Geberit carier parts from a combo of Ira Woods and eBay, panasonic fans and lighting from plumbers surplus. The first toilet arrived smashed, but the eBay seller shipped a second one at no charge promptly and it arrived fine (and was not a second as I feared).

Online opens up a whole new world of design options and prices are usually better than local (shipping cancels out tax savings).

FYI, if you check the online shopping ratings, and realize some people can never be pleased, you will do okay. FYI, though, Ira Woods has a reputation for selling things as "in stock" they don't really have in stock, and lousy customer service. I found that to be true, unfortunately. Seems they put most of their $$ into a really slick web site.

• timpanedes
    16 years ago

For our masterbath remodel we ordered a bunch of stuff online. Really all we did was search on the part number and order the cheapest one after looking at stuff at design centers. I used Homeclick too, ePlumbers, I like the search functions on LampsPlus too.

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    16 years ago

cade: Gorgeous bathroom! I think that when we have a master bathroom built, we'll opt for a free-standing tub, too. Really lovely!

bradley and timpanedes: Good to hear the online ordering went well (Ira Woods notwithstanding). I just felt hesitant about it, so thought I really should check with you folks first. :)

• dchall_san_antonio
    16 years ago

I found all our stuff in town for the same cost as online with shipping. By buying locally I not only help my neighbors, but I know who's desk to sit on when things don't go right.

• flyinghigh
    16 years ago

We have bought several sinks from SinksGallery.com - probably the largest selection of sinks I have ever found on the net. They have real people to talk to and you actually place your order on the phone. They also have a lot of unique things I have never seen on most other sites.

As for a toilet, I have always found these better to buy from the plumber. There isn't a lot of money to be saved IMHO on a toilet after shipping, etc. and I have had many call backs that were "free" since I bought the toilet from the plumber (it would have been a charged service call otherwise).

I've looked at Signature Hardware before, but everything appears to be just import stuff.. Maybe OK for a few things, but I can't comment otherwise since I have purchased from them directly.

Good luck!

That

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinks Gallery

• ladycfp
    16 years ago

I bought just about everything for my remodel online. I used vintagetubs.com, faucetdepot.com and homedecorators.com primarily.

• cade
    16 years ago

Organic, Oops, guess I should have mentioned that the picture of the tub is from their site. My bathrooom is cut up concrete slab and dirt piles at the moment.

• bob_cville
    16 years ago

I ordered a sink and a toilet from Homeclick. I was wary because I have heard several people report problems here, but they were the only company that carried the sink I was looking for. They both arrived promptly, and the sink is in perfect condition, and the toilet seems to be in perfect condition (its not unpacked or installed yet)

It turns out though that both I and Homeclick were misspelling the name of the sink. I was looking for the Cheviot Sydney Semi-Casa sink, but its actually spelt Semi-Cassa. Several companies offer it with the correct spelling. :-)

• growredapple
    15 years ago

I was going to buy sink faucets/shower/bath systems from Irawoods online. I had confidence speaking to them. But a person who posted on this site did not have a favorable experience, including being a little misled regarding stock items. Has anyone else had experiences with Irawoods - good or bad. Thanks.

• arlene11
    15 years ago

Growredapple,

We recently ordered a sink, faucet, and Grohe shower stuff from Irawoods. They showed everything to be in stock, but that wasn's the case for the Grohe. Eveything was delivered in three weeks. We weren't in a hurry, so it all worked out fine. When I called for an update, the girl was very friendly. They emailed me when the order was to arrive. They also matched the lower price I had on the Toto sink and Danze faucet. So if you don't need the items immmediately, I think Irawoods will work out fine. Hope that helps.

• kgwlisa
    15 years ago

Most of these online places don't carry much, if anything, in stock. It's how they keep their overhead low. When you place an order they order direct from the manufacturer and therefore you are at the mercy of manufacturer lead times.

It turns out my local plumbing supply keeps the more "everyday" stuff in stock but the stuff I was interested in had to be special ordered as well, at a much higher price, plus delivery fee to their warehouse at which point I could pick it up or pay another delivery fee to have it delivered to my house. I'd rather just have mr. ups or ms. fedex drop it at my house direct from the factory for a lower price.