Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aab0422

white subway tile help please!

aab0422
10 years ago

Hi there! I need help! There are just so many options! My husband and I are remodeling our house and a master bathroom (shower only) and second bathroom (tub shower combo) are included in this. This is an old farmhouse that was built in 1900 and we decided to stick with Subway tiles for a classic look. When I told my contractor that we just wanted subway tile he came back to me with 1000 questions! Who knew!

Master Bathroom-on the floor we are going 3" Carerra Hexagon tiles with grey grout. For the shower we had planned to do a white glossy 3x6 subway tile 2/3 of the way up the wall and then switch to 1x3 and separate the two sizes by a chair rail all with white grout. What do I do around the edge of the shower to "finish the tile"? I want something classic, polished and timeless. Do I have him get the bullnosed tiles for the perimeter? I don't think I want them turned verticallly? And not sure I want the chair rail trim either?

Second bathroom upstairs: we are doing white matte 3/4" hexagon tiles on the floor with a grey grout. For the area above the tub we were initially planning on 2x4 matte white subway tiles with white grout...(we just didn't want to have subway tile EVERYWHERE and then also have it be the same exact subway tile...we wanted to show a little effort!). Matte 2x4 tiles are not availble through his tile guy. but glossy ones are. Do I want glossy 2x4s? Matte 3x6s? Glossy 3x6s? I hear that the 2x4s are sold on mesh and I could end up with bigger grout lines. Somebody just tell me what to do! And how do I finish off this tile as well?

Of note, we are also prob doing white subway tile in our kitchen. We have the white shaker style cabinets, super white quartzite counters and polished nickel faucets and hardware. I was thinking a white glossy BEVELED subway tile? It isn't a large kitchen. Maybe 11x13? And there is very minimal backsplash. What size tile here?

Any help would be great!!! Thank you!

Comment (1)