Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
igloochic

Bill/Mongo...My shower is FINALLY going in

igloochic
16 years ago

Just wanted to share :) It's been SO Long since this all started. My lovely tile guy (Joe) probably completed this yesterday, but the day before I saw this wonderful sight:

{{gwi:1424583}}

{{gwi:1424584}}

{{gwi:1424585}}

{{gwi:1424586}}

He loves the tiles (24x24 ceramic crocodile pattern) and so do I. The walls look like soft leather, even under the dust.

I'll get to visit the site again Monday, when he should be done with the shower and working on the undermounted tub deck :) He rocks!

Comments (16)

• ladycfp
    16 years ago

That is one cool shower! No one else has one like that I bet. You are going to love it!

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

Well sure it's nice, but where's the rooster?

Uh-oh...did the croc eat him?

:)

• igloochic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Heh heh He's in the kitchen...he goes up next. My tile guy likes the goofy stuff best :)

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

I'll tell ya-- when I first saw that tile posted in the kitchens thread, I thought those were each small individual hand made tiles, and my first thought was BOY am I glad I didn't take you up on your offer!! LOL That shower looks spectacular!!

• igloochic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LMAO Bill that would have been a fun tile job! heh heh

I'm not a tile guy so I don't know why the other guys bulked at the 24x24, but this guy didn't care. He's enjoying the work and really has been great at working with me on the design (we have made a few changes based on mutual suggestions after seeing it go in). I'm ready to tile the world in croc LOL And he wants to help!

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Dawn-- I really do like the tile. Who's the manufacturer?

• hamster
    16 years ago

igloo..that is way cool! Quite a conversation piece!
    For the life of me, I can't figure out where the squares start and stop. Awesome!

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

Way cool!!!!

• igloochic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all :) Bill those tiles are Walker Zanger Matouche. They come in 24x24 or 24x24 :oP

Hamster The pattern is meant to flow as one piece...and with the right grout will (I'm matching the grout to the croc exactly). I had some trim in there in the travertine (in the niech) but decided to go with the "flow" and do all croc since it's so pretty. A bit more work for Joe (it does not come in any sort of polished edge so he has to do it).

I know it's a crazy tile :) And someday some poor sucker 20 years from now will whine about being stuck with crocodile tile in the shower :oP But the goal in there was a chocolate, cafe latte and cream color scheme. I tried brown marbles and they just didn't do it then tripped over the croc :) They're pretty much the stars in the bathroom.

I can't wait to see the tub deck done. Unfortunately my horrible granite people only brought four of the six pieces that were to be precut and polished. Now we have to stop production :( Between that and selling my tile and granite slabs, I'm not a happy camper! Thank god we have extra of this...so if I have to I can get the tub recut.

Bill...funny thing on the cuts. It should have been done with four tiles (24x24 cut the 40x40 circle in the middle and trim the edges) but somehow the old guy ended up templating on six squares. Joe's shocked, since it would have been better to use four...but he can work with it if we find the two missing pieces. He just has to cut up a bunch more tile, which sucks (this stuff was so popular that it's a very long wait for more). I'd have had to send you out fishing a day or two while we waited for the cuts :oP

• MongoCT
    16 years ago

I love the Crocodile Cave!

Sometimes dark tile like that can eat light, so don't be afraid to try different wattage light bulbs to assure yourself enough lumens.

Mongo

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

I'd have had to send you out fishing a day or two while we waited for the cuts

That woulda just spoiled my whole day. :-)

Also, I have to agree with Mongo. One thing you might look for is candelabra or sconce type lighting, as well as stronger lighting for the shower and by the vanity. There'll be times when you want soft lighting, and other time when you want to be able to see every little detail.

• igloochic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

There is a light there in the center of the shower because I knew it was going to be on the dark side, but I also have an exposed bulb chandelier that will be outside of it, and each vanity has an exposed light fixture as well. We also have a window in the bathroom that gets way too much light :) While the shower is really the "cave" it and the tub decks are the dark surfaces as well as the cabinets, but the walls are venetian plaster, in the same tone as the travertine. I'll finish that with a commercial wax application which gives a reflective sheen. The counter tops are pure white marble (or they will be if I can find pure white marble but that's another story). The ceiling is a soft white that matched the marble. Everything is on dimmers for either full light or dimmed...oh and the cabinets also have lightin in the glass uppers (chosen to break up the darkness). The door to the bathroom is a clear glass center (although it's stained glass with waves and ribs and ripples so you really can't see into it). Just outside the bathroom door there are two HUGE picture windows overlooking the lake that are full sunlight 24 hours a day sometimes ;)

So hopefully my lighting plan will work. I put a great deal of thought into it when I decided to go so deep in tone on the shower. That's also why it's a half wall on the one side, to let in the light from the window and the room lighting. If I'd have walled it in with only the door glass, it would really have felt like a cave!

The glass is custom made for the shower...it's a soft bronze which is obviously also a bit darker than normal, but I think...hope...heh heh it will all work.

Oh and there is also a candelier (no electric) that hangs over the soaking tub :) I plan many a long evening with a glass of wine soaking in that thing (DS will probably be jumping in screaming SPLASH but in my fantasy it's very peaceful)

• brmjandme
    16 years ago

That is some awesome tile!

• tartanhabit
    16 years ago

Wow, that's stunning! Gotta love Walker Zanger. I walked into their tile showroom about 9 months ago in San Francisco and thought I'd died and gone to tile heaven. Beautiful tile job igloo and so glad you have someone good to work with.

• pharaoh
    16 years ago

Igloo, you made it in the LA Times today! umm , at least your gorgeous tile did! They did an article on new trends and featured the WZ tile...

your tile is famous (just hope that not everyone on the block starts doing crocodile patterns)...

• raenjapan
    15 years ago

Igloochic, do you have finished photos of this shower yet? I love the tile and can't wait to see the finished product.