Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mynewhouse_gw

Help with bath remodel

mynewhouse
11 years ago

You guys have so many great ideas I am hoping you can help me too!

We are knocking out a wall to create a master bath and walk in closet. The room is above the steps and has a window in an odd location which we cannot move because it is a brick home and would negatively affect the exterior appeal. I have done so many different configurations and cannot seem to find one that we are both happy with.

I am trying to make the following fit:
double shower (min. 4X6)
double vanity with storage
hallway (10'5" wall) laundry room access (72 wide, 42 deep)
water closet
walk in closet big enough for both our stuff

The door to the bedroom could be anywhere on the 14' 7" wall.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (19)

• lascatx
    11 years ago

Your plans are very ambitious for the space. I had to do some math first to see if you even have the square footage to do all that. I figure about 167 sq ft with about 112 sq ft without the walk-in closet, and I'm not sure that allows enough walking space and standing space in front of the vanity. I know it doesn't allow for anything that means less than perfect use of the space -- like the window, the small dogleg, multiple doorways, etc. I tried to see if I was up to a challenge I didn't come up with anything I would want.

You may be able to get the function you want from your space if you are willing to make some compromises on what I would call grand style issues in favor of efficiency. I would start with stacking the washer and dryer and cut that space down. Consider wall closets instead of a walk-in. That walk-in is a big waste of square footage you don't have. Does your water closet require a full door or would a pony wall work for you?

• mynewhouse
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good to hear I am not crazy.
    I like your suggestions of downsizing a few items but I guess I wasn't even sure where to start. I thought I was going with minimum requirements on most items.
    Do stackable still have larger capacity , most I have seen are pretty small?
    I would like the water closet completely separate but if that is not possible, I guess a pony wall would have to do.

I have attached my original drawing I like the best. There are two big issues:
    1 - not sure everything fits just right and I will have enough walk space
    2 - We would like natural light in the bathroom but this version cuts it off

• mynewhouse
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is my other design although I am not sure if the closet space is adequate? I can always bump that space out by another 6 inches if necessary - the entire wall just can not move due to another window.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

You can absolutely have a large capacity W/D and stack them. My LG pair were the largest sold at the time and we were planning to stack them. Haven't so far. LG makes arger ones now, but I am still amazed how large the loads can be. I am looking at 8 pairs of jeans I folded plus I know my DH had another pair plus a pair of shorts in that load. I may have thrown in a beach towel or two. I know I can get 2 sets of queen sheets in one load if they are standard weight. A king set and a twin set will fit.

What is the distance from the nearest wall to the window? How high is the window from the wall and what is it's height?

This post was edited by lascatx on Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 11:55

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Do you need to access the laundry from inside the bathroom or just need to allocate the space for access from outside? Which wall has the section that can be bumped out?

Posting a diagram of the surrounding rooms would be very helpful.

You need to plan about 5 feet in length for a WC, you need I think 24 inches in front of the toilet if I remember correctly, and most toilets are about 25-30 ish inches long, plus a little for clearance, etc.

• mynewhouse
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lascatx -
    Do not have exact numbers on me but from what I recall:
    What is the distance from the nearest wall to the window? ~33"
    How high is the window from the wall and what is it's height? It is ~2' off ground and is quite tall, taking up most of the wall

williamsem-
    Laundry I just need access from the hall (10'5" wall)

The wall that can be bumped out is diagonal from the current bump out - the entire wall can not because of a window in the bedroom

I have attached the blueprint of the current space, hopefully this will be helpful

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

How about something like this?

• mynewhouse
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mydreamhome - thanks for the sketch - is the nook area with the X the shower?
    If yes, that is the problem area - it has a large low window and I feel that space is almost useless because of it

• Karenseb
    11 years ago

Here is another idea to give you more closet space.
    --My daughter stacked her washer and dryer in a small space and it works for her, but it is tough for me since I'm short and not familiar with her machine. (She's shorter, but does not need to look at all the dials). I'm not sure how much space she has in front of the machine, because it does seem like you need enough to stand in front of the machine and open the washing machine door. If you double doors you may be able to do it in less than 4 feet of space and then do a stacked w/d with hanging space and clothes basket space next to the combo. ----I don't know how wide the wall space is next to your window in the bathroom for the vanity. Also, 3 feet may not be enough in the walkway in front of your vanity, but if you were able to cut down on the depth of the laundry a little, you could add that to your bathroom.

• Karenseb
    11 years ago

If you think the window can not take the water or can not replaced with one that can, perhaps you can make that whole area a water closet, but I am not sure how the window would fit into the equation. If you build a pony wall or a full wall 2 feet 4 in deep, that would hide the toilet from view. You could put a small linen cabinet next to the toilet on either side of the wall depending on where you want the wall or linen cabinet..

• Karenseb
    11 years ago

I goofed on the last drawing and cheated you out of a foot in the depth of you closet, which also had your bathroom space a foot wider!
    I'm still not sure I've given you enough space for the laundry. Those front loaders are much deeper than top loaders and you need to have room to swing open the door. You can check specs on the manufactures websites.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

If you could steal a little space for two of these...
    {{gwi:1424567}}

My brain just quit for the night, so I'm currently out of ideas.

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

Here are 2 other ideas with the shower no where near the window:

If you can figure out the window thing, this version gives you more room in the closet:

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Omg, who knew so much could fit in an odd little space so any ways, lol! Can't wait to hear what the final plan will be!

• mynewhouse
    Original Author
    11 years ago

All:

Thanks for so many suggestions. The biggest issue I am running into is still the dogleg issue. Many of you suggested the water closet or shower go there but I am just not sure it will work with the size of the window. Check out this image of it and see if I should still consider putting either of those there.

• Karenseb
    11 years ago

I think most people want to put your shower or toilet in that upper left space because they fit well in there. If you put the water closet in that area, you could do a frosted door and a frosted panel between the shower and toilet for the added light from the nice big window.

• Karenseb
    11 years ago

I am not sure an angled door works with this plan, but it gives you a lot of space and a very big shower- another small laundry area.

• Karenseb
    11 years ago

This one seems to be a good use of space. The closet seems roomy, the laundry okay, but the shower is still in that alcove.

• mynewhouse
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Karenseb!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022