Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bathroom floor tile thickness

Posted by lisachip (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 16:36

We are remodeling our bathroom and stuck on floor tile, specifically the thickness of the tile. We are leaning towards 12 x 24 porcelain tiles but not sure whether the thickness of the tile matters. One is 3/8" and color through the porcelain, the other is 5/16" and not color through. Does the thickness matter? Is one better than the other? The price difference is not significant as we have a small bathroom (40 sq ft). Also, if we want to use tile as a trim (instead of wood), is one width better than the other? Any input/guidance would be so appreciated!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bathroom floor tile thickness

I would favor the color-through porcelain just so I wouldn't have to live for years with a discolored chip in the floor tile after accidently dropping my blow dryer on it. As far as thickness, this link about tile rating for use in various environments may help answer your questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile Hardness Rating

o
RE: Bathroom floor tile thickness

Thanks Jewel654! I will check out this link.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here