Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gobruno_gw

Is Showerguard worth it?

gobruno
13 years ago

Hi all,

I was wondering if it was worth the money to have Showerguard on our frameless glass shower doors. At this point in our build, I don't want to spend a single extra penny! It is about $350 for the Showerguard. Is it worth it? Is there really a noticeable differenc between this and just plain glass?

Thanks!

Comments (33)

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

I've seen what hard water build-up has done and does on glassware here, and I know that my parents (who live in another state) have complained about their glass shower doors looking terrible because of the build-up. To me, it's worth it.

The company that provided our doors uses Clear Shield (a product they apply) rather than Showerguard (they used to use Showerguard, but stopped--I think they were having some problems with defects?). The shower doors we have are in our guest bathroom, and normally don't see daily use (we are using that shower now while we reno the other bathrooms, but wouldn't be using it ourselves otherwise). Even in a little-used shower though, it seemed like it would be worth the added cost.

• andreadeg
    13 years ago

Hello- there is an extensive thread on this topic; try searching on this forum.

We've had our showerguard glass shower for about 5 monthsa nd I've not had any soap build up yet. For us it really seems to make a difference. That said, we are very diglient about squeeging after showers now and we weren't with out old shower.

Best of luck with your decision!

• pepperidge_farm
    13 years ago

It's not a fix-all, but I do believe it helps.

If the $$ was a big deal, then I wouldn't sweat it.

It was our last expense and so we just kept saying "OK, let's not cheap out at the end!"

Ours was less then $200 to add on, though (we had 45 square ft of glass).

• cookingkaren
    13 years ago

I am toying with the same question and can identify with all that is being said!! My question is: can a consumer do something "worthy" in aftermarket that will save me $450!

Adreadeg- I looked for the thread, but couldn't find it. Any guidance?

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

I got it back in 2006, I think? Has it been that long?!

What we have rather than general cloudiness or streaks is lots of tiny little dots of cloudiness, like they beaded up and then solidified. Visible only at certain angles, but pretty impossible to make go away--I've tried lots of things. We have a filter on our showerhead, too, and we squeegee every time (we just have a single piece between tub and shower, so it's not onerous at all).

I wouldn't get it if I had to do it over again. Not all that impressed.

I *am* glad we got Starphire glass--I really like that it's completely clear, not greenish-tint. That, I think, was worth the $$.

• gbsim1
    13 years ago

My frameless double doors are around 2 years old now with no spotting and I don't have the Showerguard. My old sliding doors were so coated with cloudiness that NOTHING would ever have removed it (23 years of no squeeging!) :)

I've used RainX three times now and squeegee and wipe religiously. I think that I'd be squeegeeing even if I had gotten the Showerguard, so can't see any advantage in my case.

• gobruno
    Original Author
    13 years ago

gbsim, I was just thinking of some kind of product like rain X. Do you just spray it on? We just decided to skip the Showerguard and save the $450 for something else. We are used to glass showers and we squeegee after every shower; so, I think our glass will be fine. I have found that for really tough water marks, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, takes them off your glass super easily.

• cansari
    13 years ago

Anyone know where to source a nice squeegee (brushed nickel would be nice) with a long enough handle to squeegee an 8ft glass shower enclosure? Right now I have no way to squegee the top foot or so.

• gbsim1
    13 years ago

Bruno, I bought a pack of the RainX-wipes and keep them sealed in a ziplock for extra protection from the air. I've just followed the directions.... I believe it's wipe on til you see a haze and then buff off using some spritz's of water to help get rid of the haze.

Won't help for reaching high, but I love my California Jelly Blade for squeegeeing. Flexible, big, all rubber so there's no clattering if I drop it or throw it onto the bathmat. I got a clear/white one and it's very unobtrusive. Easy to just sweep along and gets the job done in no time.

• User
    13 years ago

When we were looking for our shower doors, I stopped in at www.theshowerdoorstore.com which is located locally to us. I inquired about that and the girl there told me they sell something similar to Rain-X that works wonderfully for about 6.00 for a good sized bottle and to save my money.

• sevrm
    13 years ago

I have just put Rain-X on my shower glass. Now I'm thinking about putting it on the porcelain tile shower walls as well. Do you think that would help prevent soap scum build-up, etc?

• lisadlu
    13 years ago

We got the showerguard and am happy so far.Anything that helps even a little is worth it to me. If I hadn't have gotten it I'm sure I would be second guessing myself since the whole reason for the shower redo was are horrible, uncleanable old shower door! :)

• crazyhouse6
    13 years ago

The guy we purchased our glass doors from actually advised us to save the money and use rain-X rather than Showerguard.

• gbsim1
    13 years ago

Personally I wouldn't use it on the porcelain.... not what it's made for and I'd be worried about what it would do with the grout.

• sevrm
    13 years ago

Yeah, I thought about the grout. I'd have to do each tile individually, avoiding the grout. Not really worth the trouble. I am using the squeegee on the tile as well as the glass, however. I've gotten so obsessed with the glass that by the time I squeegee it and wipe it dry with a towel, I'm ready for another shower!

• woodinvirginia
    10 years ago

Over at John Bridges ceramic tile shower WEBSITE some folks with frame less glass showers advocate using the RAIN X FOAM 2 IN 1 WINDSHIELD CLEANER AND RAIN REPELLENT EVERY 2 MONTHS a can costs 4.50 at Wallyworld and re application is on you.... they said you can get the same affect and not spend major money achieving this look..

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Your digging up a 3 year old post to say something that is not entirely correct. Rainex will NOT stop the minerals in the water from entering the pores in the surface of the glass (yes glass is porous).

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

There was a TV show starring two ladies who cleaned everything with lemons. Wonder how lemons would work on that build-up. Hmmmmmmmmm

Our renovation has some bad build-up for sure, and we are not replacing the tile. There is a lemon tree......

• woodinvirginia
    10 years ago

Millworkman sounds like you should save your money and buy what you really need a WATER SOFTENER... Can testify that my frameless shower with RAINX 2 and 1 looks as good as it did 7 years ago when it was first installed... and it only cost me 25.00 and the use of a T blade squeegee after my shower takes less then 2 minutes...but if you want to spend 250..00 or above be my guest...

• millworkman
    10 years ago

never mind......

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

Bar Keepers Friend Spray is good for removing hard water on shower doors. The first time it takes several cleanings, but after that usually only one every few wks, that was after yrs of no squeegee.

• Tmnca
    8 years ago

RainX helps the water shed off the glass quickly, so minerals in the water don't have time to seep in to pores. It's when the water sits on the glass and evaporates that the hard water stains occur.

• Terry Keenan
    4 years ago

Showerguard is different than organic coatings applied by you (rain-x) or a fabricator (clear shield) Those of you who have Showerguard and have water stains, use Lemon Soft Scrub and a non scratch Scotch Brite pad, the stains will come off. Stay away from your hardware and caulk though. 50/50 vinegar water will also work in some geographic areas. I am a proffesional and highly recommend Showerguard. All aftermarket products wear off, especially when squeegies are used. Showerguard is one and done, guaranteed for life. They will stand behind their product with support also. The Showerguard website has all the approved cleaners listed. I have yet to find a water stain I cannot easily remove from SG and have hundreds of installations out there. Over ten years now as a dealer in the midwest.

• Lars
    4 years ago

Thanks for that update. We just installed glass in our new showers this month and spent the extra money for Showerguard, as our contractor recommended it. We have very hard water there, not to mention very dry air, and so the water evaporates very quickly, which is great for drying oneself off, but not so great for preventing water spots. So far I have not noticed any water spots on the glass - only on the shower fixtures, which are brushed nickel.

• Mittens Cat
    4 years ago

Also weighing pros/cons of shower glass treatment. Curious if anyone is concerned about the chemicals that go into these things? I guess I should stick to squeegeeing, white vinegar and such if I have concerns?

• disneyammah
    3 years ago

I absolutely Hate my ShowerGuard tub doors. I was actually searching for a way to strip the coating. By the end of the year, they looked horrible, even though I am making everyone squeegee and was careful what we cleaned with. My daughter got plain glass around the same time and hers is still beautiful. Never again.

• cpartist
    3 years ago

I had Showerguard now for 2 years with them looking brand new. Are you sure you got Showerguard? If you did, you can call the company. I believe they have a lifetime guarantee.

• kerri526
    3 years ago

I have Showerguard and would never get it again.... glass is hard to clean

• Linda Cek
    3 years ago

I had mine installed in 2015 and it was the best $250 I ever spent. I hate to admit it, but I rarely have to clean the shower doors. They do get a little dirty on the bottom, but I think it cuts way down on the cleaning.

• PRO
    Custom Surface Solutions
    2 years ago

Showerguard is NOT intended to provide spot free glass. Showerguard IS intended to protect the glass from the minerals which cause the spotting to etching the glass permanently. Showerguard is NOT a coating it is built into the glass. If Showerguard fails to protect the glass from permanent water spots it guaranteed for life as long as you register when you purchase the glass. One of the best ways to protect shower glass and minimize spots is to install a water softener. The combination of a water softener and Showerguard is the best way to have spot free glass AND protect it from permanent etching. Finally, using squeegee after each shower will also help keep the glass spot free.

• HU-343090189
    2 years ago

Can a product like Eduroshield be placed over a Showerguard treated shower door to make the water bead up and therefore easier to clean.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

Enduroshield can be yes, as it is a topical applied treatment. I do not know how much it easier that product will make it to clean the shower glass despite their claims.